Charge port cover

hermitdave

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
MG has chosen really hard plastic for charge port cover. I worry that every time it bangs against the car, it will scratch the paint. EVSE cover didn’t help either. Is slightly softer but not much.

I’m doing this but I need something better like Leaf / Outlander: sprung cover that can be opened / closed, something that doesn’t hang.

Doing this for now. Any suggestions??
9594540E-2B08-438A-B3EC-A9946768B0C3.jpeg

I would probably solve it by adding magnets somewhere..... I'll take a look at it when I have the car.... ordered a EHS yesterday....

Yes its a shame they did not put a facility in the flap where you could put the plug cover in.
Its also the same in the petrol flap , nowhere to put the petrol cap apart from letting it dangle down against the body work.

Yes I was trying to figure out if I could 3d print some sort of retainer, but as yet I've not come up with a plan. The petrol one isn't as much of a problem as I've only opened it once so far, I filled it to make sure I could fill it etc, before I needed to. Haven't needed it since :ROFLMAO:

There must be a way to stick a small neodymium magnet inside the handle of the cap,.. and cover the outside of the cap with something soft,.. so you can just stick it to the metal bodywork above the charge port....

MG has chosen really hard plastic for charge port cover. I worry that every time it bangs against the car, it will scratch the paint. EVSE cover didn’t help either. Is slightly softer but not much.

I’m doing this but I need something better like Leaf / Outlander: sprung cover that can be opened / closed, something that doesn’t hang.

Doing this for now. Any suggestions??View attachment 3615
What is wrong with the solution on the first picture? You connect both male and female covers and roll it over the charger plug without touching the bodywork.

What is wrong with the solution on the first picture? You connect both male and female covers and roll it over the charger plug without touching the bodywork.
Because my charge cable doesn't have a rubber cover it plugs into a "socket" on the wall to keep it off the floor, this is also the same with many public tethered chargers.

it requires constant care. For the last 3 years I never had to worry about this

Because my charge cable doesn't have a rubber cover it plugs into a "socket" on the wall to keep it off the floor, this is also the same with many public tethered chargers.
Mine has the rubber cover but it goes into a holster on the wall. I did think whether to cut the rubber cover as it is just in the way. This is what I do at home charging.

Attachments

• F3192773-5F1C-4C07-ABCA-9D931CA376AE.jpeg
    F3192773-5F1C-4C07-ABCA-9D931CA376AE.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 201
This looks an excellent idea when do you think you may have some of these available Dragonfly??

Attachments

• IMG_20210624_162453.jpg
    IMG_20210624_162453.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 164
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom