Charging port cover popping open autonomously Pre Facelift MG5

maskull

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
A couple of days ago I was alerted , by a passer by , to the fact my charge port cover was open . I thought maybe I'd forgotten to close it . Anyway I got home last night , checked the the cover was closed , locked the car and gave the cover a push to confirm that it was closed all was OK . I drove to a doctor's appointment today and , once again , the charge port door was open.
Any one else experienced this, and any solutions ?

A couple of days ago I was alerted , by a passer by , to the fact my charge port cover was open . I thought maybe I'd forgotten to close it . Anyway I got home last night , checked the the cover was closed , locked the car and gave the cover a push to confirm that it was closed all was OK . I drove to a doctor's appointment today and , once again , the charge port door was open.
Any one else experienced this, and any solutions ?
I have a FL and cannot help really but I am curious as on the FL the flap is locked in place when the car is locked. E.g. car auto locks doors above 10 miles an hour. Does the Pre-facelift do this?

On the LF there is a pin that goes in a hole to keep it closed. I had an issue with some leaves managing to find their in there and not allowing the flap to close correctly. Just a thought.

on the FL the flap is locked in place when the car is locked. E.g. car auto locks doors above 10 miles an hour. Does the Pre-facelift do this?

Yes, it certainly does on mine! If the car is locked, so is the charger port flap.

@maskull I think you need to get this checked by your dealer.

With the port open push the locking pin on the car in with your finger and it will twist as it goes in and then lock with a click and stay retracted. If it doesn't click it isn't locked. Then push it in and it will unlock and pop out in a twisting motion. I suggest that you probably just need to squirt some WD40 or prolube (dry silicon spray) onto the pin and into the mechanism as it may just be a bit sticky and not locking fully.
Also check that the tabs on the top of the pin haven't broken off and that the hole on the port doesn't appear to be damaged. The locking is done by the pin rotating and then the pin clicking locked fully retracted.

With the port open push the locking pin on the car in with your finger and it will twist as it goes in and then lock with a click and stay retracted. If it doesn't click it isn't locked. Then push it in and it will unlock and pop out in a twisting motion. I suggest that you probably just need to squirt some WD40 or prolube (dry silicon spray) onto the pin and into the mechanism as it may just be a bit sticky and not locking fully.
Also check that the tabs on the top of the pin haven't broken off and that the hole on the port doesn't appear to be damaged. The locking is done by the pin rotating and then the pin clicking locked fully retracted.
It does seem to lock fully and I give it a firm push when when the car is locked to see if it will open, which it doesn't . I can see no evidence of someone trying to pry it open . The reason I say that is I also found a screw in one of my brand new front tyres today . Maybe the Anti EV brigade ( Daily Fail readers ) are out to get me or maybe just bad luck ? ;)
And in answer to a previous reply the car locks automatically above 6 to 8 mph , same as my previous cars

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom