Charge to 100%?

cazarol1501

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’ve just got a MGZS Exclusive, registered Feb 2021 and am looking for any tips or points I need to be aware of.
When I charge should I always charge to 100%, I have access to free charging 3 days/week.
To add I am absolutely loving the vehicle and Thank you in advance for any comments

I’ve just got a MGZS Exclusive, registered Feb 2021 and am looking for any tips or points I need to be aware of.
When I charge should I always charge to 100%, I have access to free charging 3 days/week.
To add I am absolutely loving the vehicle and Thank you in advance for any comments
Can't comment on the facelift ZS specifically, but the reality is that you can charge to 100% whenever you like, although it's generally best not to try on a DC unit as people have reported on previous models that the car gets upset and can shut off the HV battery (for a short period of time) around the mid 90% level (and the charge speed slows significantly around 83% mark). It's fine to do this on AC however, and as mentioned above it's essential for balancing the battery once a month or so.

The general rules are don't leave the car charged at either 100% or below 20% for any prolonged period of time - but if you're planning on needing the charge the next day or sooner, should be no harm in regularly going to 100% on AC charge - quite a few people do this as they're high mileage users. Sticking to roughly the 20% to 80% range is a fine approach - go above or below this if you need to though, unlikely to cause any issues.

Can't comment on the facelift ZS specifically, but the reality is that you can charge to 100% whenever you like, although it's generally best not to try on a DC unit as people have reported on previous models that the car gets upset and can shut off the HV battery (for a short period of time) around the mid 90% level (and the charge speed slows significantly around 83% mark). It's fine to do this on AC however, and as mentioned above it's essential for balancing the battery once a month or so.

The general rules are don't leave the car charged at either 100% or below 20% for any prolonged period of time - but if you're planning on needing the charge the next day or sooner, should be no harm in regularly going to 100% on AC charge - quite a few people do this as they're high mileage users. Sticking to roughly the 20% to 80% range is a fine approach - go above or below this if you need to though, unlikely to cause any issues.
Just to add to this, there is a page in the manual for the 2022 version but should also apply to any EV really that gives advice for storing the car for long periods which everyone should take heed of:-

Attachments

• HV Battery.jpg
    HV Battery.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 151
Bjørn Nydal(Tesla Bjørn youtube) recommends that you keep the charge at 60% if you can live with it(any car, Tesla, MG, Skoda...aso). What do you guys think about that? A lot of small charging sessions, but mainly to 60% as long as you don't need more each week? Personally, I like to go low (30%) and then charge up to 100%, and I usually do so each 1-2 weeks at my normal driving.

@cazarol1501 OK so original post says reg Feb 21 so it's a gen1 car so try and keep under 80 for every day use charge to 100 once a month or once every 2 months if not using dc and when ever going on a long journey charge to 100% and just remember then 95% and above Regen will probably not work

MG recommend charging to 80% with a balancing charge of 100% once a month. This is how the new facelift model is set up.
Where is this 'recommendation", exaclty? The short range facelift comes with an LFP battery and so should be able to be charged to 100% on a regular basis (just like the same LFP chemistry in the Atto 3 or the Tesla MY RWD etc). 7Kw home charger.

On the long range facelift, sure, this is the same NMC chemistry as per the MK 1 & with the same caveats for 80% charging & battery balancing (even a software page to limit accordingly). The short range software charging screen shows no such limits.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom