ChargePlace Scotland App not activating any charge points

iainfm

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,

Hi,

My first attempt at cooncil charging this morning resulted in complete failure!

Whenever I try to activate a charge point via the app it says 'plug in your vehicle. you have 60 seconds to comply' (or words to that effect), followed by 'Error Starting The Session. The chargepoint is unavailable'.

I phoned the helpline, who tried to activate it remotely, but that didn't work. They did manage to reboot it, but that didn't improve matters.

I've since come in out of the rain and tried a number of chargers (remotely) around my area, but they all say the same when I try to activate them.

Am I missing something? I've ordered an RFID token, but it'll take a while to arrive, so I'm 'stuck' with home charging for the time being.

Have you tried a rapid charge (DC) on a non Chargeplace Scotland charger?
No, I've not tried any other charger yet. I'm still on the original charge my car came with!

The CPS problem is happening irrespective of whether the car's plugged in (or even nearby) the charger I'm trying to activate.

It seems they had network issues a couple of days ago, but they claim that's sorted.

Worst-case scenario is I have to charge at home tonight :)

I've used the app without problem but it is a few months back when they inadvertently invalidated a lot of RFID cards.

Sounds like just another problem with the handover to SWARCO.

No, I've not tried any other charger yet. I'm still on the original charge my car came with!

The CPS problem is happening irrespective of whether the car's plugged in (or even nearby) the charger I'm trying to activate.

It seems they had network issues a couple of days ago, but they claim that's sorted.

Worst-case scenario is I have to charge at home tonight :)

The actual charging start/stop is not reliant on network though, it's done within the individual charger.
There "might" be a problem with your car and compatibility with the charger if you are trying the older types (telephone box shaped with Evolt on the front). Although that usually ends up with a CCS error on screen.
There are different makes of charger about, e.g. Siemens (also phone box shape) which work well with the MG and the newer Swarco Evolt ones (usually blue/white slab shaped).
If it's a compatibility thing, you should still be able to start a charge on AC but it's limited to the 6.6kw onboard charger speed.

The actual charging start/stop is not reliant on network though, it's done within the individual charger.
There "might" be a problem with your car and compatibility with the charger if you are trying the older types (telephone box shaped with Evolt on the front). Although that usually ends up with a CCS error on screen.
There are different makes of charger about, e.g. Siemens (also phone box shape) which work well with the MG and the newer Swarco Evolt ones (usually blue/white slab shaped).
If it's a compatibility thing, you should still be able to start a charge on AC but it's limited to the 6.6kw onboard charger speed.
There was another guy there with an MG5 who was able to charge by initiating his with an RFID token.

I think it's something to do with my app/account, not the car or charger. If I pick one at random from the comfort of my own home and try to start it I get the same thing.

It does sound like a network issue then or possibly a problem with your account not being set up properly. I'd have expected you to simply get access denied if the issue was your account though.

Ok, I've managed to initialise one charger not a million miles from me. Just have to hope no one connects to it while it's active in my name :ROFLMAO:

I have a CPS RFID card (had it for a long time, and it dates back to before SWARCO). Apart from the initial change over it’s worked everywhere on CPS chargers A/C and D/C. Except of course where there’s a problem with the charger sadly there’s quite a few of those on the CPS network.
I do wish they’d get their act together and create a larger more reliable network in keeping with the rapidly increasing number of EV’s.

I have a CPS RFID card (had it for a long time, and it dates back to before SWARCO). Apart from the initial change over it’s worked everywhere on CPS chargers A/C and D/C. Except of course where there’s a problem with the charger sadly there’s quite a few of those on the CPS network.
I do wish they’d get their act together and create a larger more reliable network in keeping with the rapidly increasing number of EV’s.
Wouldn't it be a great idea if EV charging was made as simple and convenient as filling up with diesel?

It's a strange set-up. Their website says:

"However, we do not own any charge points, nor do we repair, maintain nor service them."

<bla></bla>

"So, to be clear, ChargePlace Scotland do NOT own any charging infrastructure and have no responsibility for the servicing, maintenance or repair of chargers."

"Our role is to provide the system that connects the chargers, into a network and to take care of customer interactions, from billing through to provision of support when charging."

Their app is definitely not fulfilling that role at the moment. I've found only two chargers in my area that I can use through the app, and neither is fast, nor convenient.

Hopefully the card will turn up soon and I can use the ones near me :)

Last edited:
Things to remember, it took decades for petrol stations to spring up in sufficient quantities when ice cars first became popular. Drivers used to have to go a chemist to buy petrol. (not to mention the disaster that self service nearly was when it started).
EV charging will get better but it all costs a shedload of money to set up and run a network.

Chargeplace Scotland are a Scottish government set up umbrella organisation, the intention is to ensure that the same situation that exists in England doesn't happen here. i.e. One card works on all chargers and councils are given incentives to install chargers. On cps there are Siemens, BP chargemaster, Swarco and probably other companies all on the one network.
So cps owns the network, it's run for them by (a division of) Swarco but the chargers themselves are privately owned/council owned and are serviced by whichever company supplied them. CPS pass on details of faults etc and the company concerned hopefully go fix it.

Hi,

Hi,

My first attempt at cooncil charging this morning resulted in complete failure!

Whenever I try to activate a charge point via the app it says 'plug in your vehicle. you have 60 seconds to comply' (or words to that effect), followed by 'Error Starting The Session. The chargepoint is unavailable'.

I phoned the helpline, who tried to activate it remotely, but that didn't work. They did manage to reboot it, but that didn't improve matters.

I've since come in out of the rain and tried a number of chargers (remotely) around my area, but they all say the same when I try to activate them.

Am I missing something? I've ordered an RFID token, but it'll take a while to arrive, so I'm 'stuck' with home charging for the time being.
Hi I used one for the first time yesterday, had problem at first attempt, saying error. Rang help line and they stated that I had not set up direct debit with SwarCo, they guided me through it and I was able to do it from the app, job done. The direct debit is with e volt, they take a £10 one charge. If you got the App, do not try and set up the account through the app, do it through the web browser first. Hope this helps👍

Thanks for that. I've definitely set up a DD to someone via the website because when I look it says to phone/email them if I want to change my details.

I don't see a charge either on the site or in my banking app for the £10 RFID token yet. I did email them through the week to ask if they'd received it, but so far I've only got back an automated response saying they aim to respond to my email within 24-48 hours.

Also, FWIW, CPS gave me a web address - webpay.chargeplacescotland.org - where you can (in theory) kick off chargers from any browser. It's a bit different in that it needs a debit card every time.

But...the chargers I'm having problems with won't start with that either,

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom