Charger cable

daverobbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Basic question but do you keep your type 2 cable in the car or leave it plugged in the charger?
My thoughts are that I am unlikely to need it whilst out and about

We just got our MG ZS EV and bought a type 2 cable, after experiencing how slow it actually charges, is very much a "in case of emergency" rather than a day to day cable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I keep the type 2 under the floor in the boot with the granny you never know when it might come in handy
Don't need it for home as tethered charger

Upvote 0
The type 2 not granny cable?
Essentially, off you're using the type 2 charger.... Your charging at the same rate as a granny charger. We plugged in and am hour later, had charged the 4 miles it took us to drive home. Type 2 is essentially the same charge rate as 3 pin plug.

If you use DC (WITH THE CCS CHARGERS), you're flying compared to type 2.

Attachments

• IMG-20230618-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230618-WA0003.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0
Well you could leave it plugged into your charger but it does defeat the object of having a non tethered charger
No doubt you'd end up kicking yourself if you find yourself needing it when you're out and about

Upvote 0
Essentially, off you're using the type 2 charger.... Your charging at the same rate as a granny charger. We plugged in and am hour later, had charged the 4 miles it took us to drive home. Type 2 is essentially the same charge rate as 3 pin plug.

If you are using a type2 to type2 cable on a 7kW EVSE then it is about 3x faster than a granny EVSE at 2.2kW.
I have my type2 to type2 cable in the frunk of my MG5 with my 10mm spanner😃

Upvote 0

I'm currently charging at 6.4kw with the type 2. It's put in around 100 miles in 3.5 hours.
Do you have a dodgy cable or charger box?

Upvote 0
I'm currently charging at 6.4kw with the type 2. It's put in around 100 miles in 3.5 hours.
Do you have a dodgy cable or charger box?
The car is 4 days old, the cable newer than that, so hopefully not..... I'll try again at a different charger and see if there's any improvement.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom