Charger connected warning, whilst driving. Anyone else seen this?

Bogrole

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi just wondering if anyone else has had this.

I managed to close the M42 yesterday while my car got dragged into the hard shoulder. Vehicle came up with a warning that the charger was connected (I was doing 70mph)

Slowed down and went into the slow lane, car driving fine, then hit traffic and had to come to a stop, car would not move again as it was saying charge cable connected.

Had to call 999, to get the car off the carrageway (they used skids under the wheels), then call the AA. while waiting for the AA, I took out my trusty 10mm spanner with confidence, disconnected the battery to give it a reset, but didn't help at all. lots of playing and inserting my charging cable and removing, opening and closing the charge door, removing battery terminal once more and suddenly it cleared.

Drove home (About 12 miles), was a bit fussy on my charger once home, but did charge overnight, today it's like it never happened.

Has anyone else had this, and if so what caused it please?

I am waiting for a slot in the dealer to take it back. The original telephone conversation is a dodgy charge port is favorite. Car only done less than 5000 miles, is a SR Exclusive if it makes any difference.

2 appologies firstly if you were on the M42 (junc 4), the big tail back was me around 6pm yesterday. Also my poor picture, but I am sure you get the idea.

Was a very scary situation.

Attachments

• charge connected.jpg
    charge connected.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 198
This post tells of it happening to them, but while the car was stationary, and not plugged in, so looks like the same issue as yourself, but fortunately they were parked at the time.

This post tells of it happening to them, but while the car was stationary, and not plugged in, so looks like the same issue as yourself, but fortunately they were parked at the time.
Thank you

Well just back from the dealer, looks like the root cause is the latch pin (plunger switch) on the charge flap, lubricated and adjusted and hopefully should be ok, car thought the door was open to charger even though it wasn't. Possible that the wind caught the flap and slightly moved the plunger to give the fault. We will see how it goes. Such a simple thing can cause so much chaos!

Well just back from the dealer, looks like the root cause is the latch pin (plunger switch) on the charge flap, lubricated and adjusted and hopefully should be ok, car thought the door was open to charger even though it wasn't. Possible that the wind caught the flap and slightly moved the plunger to give the fault. We will see how it goes. Such a simple thing can cause so much chaos!
Another reason to for the need for a "Flap open" warning light or message, if the wind catching it when accidentally left open could stop you dead. :oops:

Hi. I was the other poster who suffered this issue as referenced above - at that time we were parked so all ok. However yesterday my wife suffered the same issue as you - whilst driving on the motorway! Very disconcerting!

Our car is now with the MG dealer who are investigating although of course when they got round to checking the car, it was working fine. My biggest worry is that it gets sent back to us with ‘no fault found’ and happens again.

Do you know how they reached the conclusion of the door flap latch?

My other thought is whether the wiring of the connector is at fault - there is a pin called ‘Proximity’ which I think provides the loop back to tell the car that it has a charger connected. Looking at the wiring diagram for this, it eventually links back to a ‘12V’ and a ‘5V’ connection at the vehicle end. I’m a Systems Engineer by trade but not an expert in electrical, however something tells me there could be a deeper root cause here - something happening in the car perhaps (a sudden surge or spike?) to trick that ‘Proximity’ circuitry into thinking the other end is connected…?

For reference we have the exact same model as you and this has only ever happened (twice) after a few hours charging via our home Wallbox Pulsar Plus charger.

Hi. I was the other poster who suffered this issue as referenced above - at that time we were parked so all ok. However yesterday my wife suffered the same issue as you - whilst driving on the motorway! Very disconcerting!

Our car is now with the MG dealer who are investigating although of course when they got round to checking the car, it was working fine. My biggest worry is that it gets sent back to us with ‘no fault found’ and happens again.

Do you know how they reached the conclusion of the door flap latch?

My other thought is whether the wiring of the connector is at fault - there is a pin called ‘Proximity’ which I think provides the loop back to tell the car that it has a charger connected. Looking at the wiring diagram for this, it eventually links back to a ‘12V’ and a ‘5V’ connection at the vehicle end. I’m a Systems Engineer by trade but not an expert in electrical, however something tells me there could be a deeper root cause here - something happening in the car perhaps (a sudden surge or spike?) to trick that ‘Proximity’ circuitry into thinking the other end is connected…?

For reference we have the exact same model as you and this has only ever happened (twice) after a few hours charging via our home Wallbox Pulsar Plus charger.
The dealer was able to recreate the fault, by moving the plunger in and out, and now and then it would stick as if not fully home, a little tap would free it. I was watching him do it, which gives me a little confidence this is the fault.

The dealer was able to recreate the fault, by moving the plunger in and out, and now and then it would stick as if not fully home, a little tap would free it. I was watching him do it, which gives me a little confidence this is the fault.
Can you please clarify, was it locking pin ( sticking ) that locks in the charging cable into the charging port, or the latching pin on the charging DOOR itself ?.
If it was the locking pin that locks in the cable, then this makes perfect sense to me.
If it was that pin that was sticking, then when the charging cable is removed and the pin sticks, then it releases to late, the car maybe fooled into thinking that the cable is connected somehow ?.

Last edited:
Can you please clarify, was it locking pin ( sticking ) that locks in the charging cable into the charging port, or the latching pin on the charging DOOR itself ?.
If it was the locking pin that locks in the cable, then this makes perfect sense to me.
If it was that pin that was sticking, then when the charging cable is removed and the pin sticks, then it releases to late, the car maybe fooled into thinking that the cable is connected somehow ?.
The door latch pin.

If it is the door latch pin how can you drive the car with the door open but no warnings, another member has drive for some time and no warning, I suppose you can test it your self by leaving the charge flap open then setting off, in the dry would be best for this.

If it is the door latch pin how can you drive the car with the door open but no warnings, another member has drive for some time and no warning, I suppose you can test it your self by leaving the charge flap open then setting off, in the dry would be best for this.
But leaving the flap open wouldn't tell you the pin is stuck, it could stick with the door open or closed.

But leaving the flap open wouldn't tell you the pin is stuck, it could stick with the door open or closed.
Just so I can understand properly when your warning lights were on did the charge flap not open or close, lock or unlock properly or is it like a sensor on the charge flap. I hope it's all sorted now anyway

Wow now if this is truly the fault (and it sounds like it is) that's a serious software defect to shut down the vehicle under those circumstances! If proved it needs feeding back to MG / SAIC as a matter of urgency.

Wow now if this is truly the fault (and it sounds like it is) that's a serious software defect to shut down the vehicle under those circumstances! If proved it needs feeding back to MG / SAIC as a matter of urgency.
I would say it needs a safety recall to have the pin checked and lubricated.

I would say it needs a safety recall to have the pin checked and lubricated.
Totally agree.

Ours is currently with MG dealer to be checked by technicians on Monday. They plan to do some further investigation and testing to try replicate the condition and then phone the MG technical department, so hopefully the correct reports will be fed back. I’ll reference this other case as it sounds like it’s the trigger.

The worry for me with simply lubricating the latch is that will soon wear off and have to be done periodically - the risk of this same issue is extant and we can’t have MG5’s stopping on motorways etc as the lubricant becomes less effective over time - before long there’ll be a catastrophic outcome.

I think they need to remove any logic in the software that links the charge door latch to a charger being connected. A charger being connected is determined by standard loop back circuits in the Type 2 charger port and cable itself - that’s what that’s for.

If the charge door latch is dodgey or not seated correctly this should simply notify the driver that a door is open, just like a boot open warning and have no link to a charger being connected.

I’ll do what I can to feed this all back to MG and ensure it reaches the right channels.

Thanks all for the really useful support!

Thanks for this - very useful.

Out of interest, what dealer was it? I may put ours in touch with them!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom