Charger connected warning, whilst driving. Anyone else seen this?

Similar fault - but was parked this evening in an NCP car park in Glasgow. Returned after 2 hours. Filthy weather - lashing rain - 4degC.

Red "Charger Connected" on screen. Tried to switch to Drive - message was "Connected Uncharged". Switched on/off several times. Locked/Unlocked several times. - no change.

My car came back from the dealer 2 days ago with a completely new CCU - longer story - but was reluctant to disconnect battery before other options just after a repair.

So called AA Road Assistance, who gave a 1hr ETA. Read forum, found this thread. So tried open/close charging flag - no change. Tried pushing the locking pin in (with flap open) - no change - though noted that previous posters explain that this is probably irrelevant.

Update from AA - now a further 2 hour wait.

So time for the 10mm spanner, -ve cable removed for 3 mins, then reattached.

MG5 starts OK - but with more error messages than I have ever seen. So slow drive round car park - warnings still on. Tested brakes - warnings cleared. Not willing to switch on/off in case fault re-appears.

Drove 25 miles home - driving snow 1 degC.

Parked at home. Switched off and on - drove a few yards on drive - seems to have cleared. Will test again tomorrow.

Dealer updated software last week - I will post version no tomorrow.

So time for the 10mm spanner, -ve cable removed for 3 mins, then reattached.

MG5 starts OK - but with more error messages than I have ever seen. So slow drive round car park - warnings still on. Tested brakes - warnings cleared. Not willing to switch on/off in case fault re-appears.

Disconnecting/re-connecting the 12v battery will cause all the error messages as it cycles through a hard re-boot, but they clear once finished.

Gomev - Thanks

Update this morning.

Did not connect the MG5 to the home charger last night.
Same message this morning "Connected Uncharged".
Started 7kW charge = ok
Disconnected charger. System ready and moved car on the driveway.
So concerned that message appeared again.
Logical that starting a charge clears the fault - but obvious that we wont always be parked at a charger to rely on this method.
Will update again in the coming days.

I also tested the hypothesis on the charging latch pin
Sprayed with WD40.
With the car on charge I pushed this into the locking position and out - repeated twice.
This did not interrupt the charging session - which adds to the evidence that this mechanism does not play a part.

Hi count zero no the pin/ plunger inside the charge flap as nothing to do with charging in fact the only electrical connection to it is from the central locking of the car.
Les

Next part of story. Drove to nearest public type 2 charger - used many times in the past. Connected but would not start charge. Red light flickering on dash - red outline of car with exclamation mark. Which is the system failure message. Switched on and off - system failure message persists, car wont move. Disconnected 12V battery. All the previous messages from last night + system failure message, car won't move. AA assist called.

Left message on dash (as blocking charge point) Locked car bought paper. Back to car - it starts. Drove home. On Zappi at home. Updated MG Assist they will come and do a diagnostic.

I need to get my son to the airport at 4AM tomorrow morning. So booked taxi. Major loss of confidence in MG5.

This is sad news can I ask which model you have and what year of course I’m thinking this is a 5 mk1 and not the uplifted model is that correct
Les

Les. Yes Mk 1 LR exclusive. Now back at dealer - I drove it, lift back with the AA who did not attempt to fix it - probably wise and saved time.

Currently writing a long e-mail with the details of the faults.

Thanks

Les. Yes Mk 1 LR exclusive. Now back at dealer - I drove it, lift back with the AA who did not attempt to fix it - probably wise and saved time.

Currently writing a long e-mail with the details of the faults.

Thanks
That’s a shame I had a mk1 SR until recently electricly it never missed a beat hope the get it sort quickly for you.
Les

Les Thanks. Still with dealer. So now 4 weeks without a car. They get the system failure message. Checked wiring and sent photos to MG. Updated software (not stated which software). CCU passes diagnostics. MG and dealer passing messages on additional tests. Seems to happen in series: MG: Do test A, Dealer Test A did not make a difference, repeat for Test B, Test C etc.

4 weeks with out the car this is very very wrong you dealer the AA insurance company somebody should be getting you a hire car and I think that’s the AA responsibility to sort you a hire car under there agreement as MG breakdown service.
If you have legal cover with your insurance I would be asking them for advice or maybe the C.A.B. As to where you might stand if you hire a car and send them the bill 4 weeks without on a car with a 7 year warranty is ridiculous I wish I could advise further.
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom