Charger points?

DrJohnny Fever

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Sorry, if there is a topic on this, but I’m not going to look though 184 topics to find it, anyway, never had a EV before and was down to about 15% battery power the other night, cold and peeing down, my question is are all EV chargers tap card and charge, or is it a case of joining something or other?.. tried charging at two places and couldn’t get them to charge..one in the centre of Birmingham (guess there run by the council) and the other was a shell recharge garage place, which I gave up on as also couldn’t get the thing to charge the car..in the end made a run up the motorway hoping to get to the services before I ran out of Juice..made it with around 7% left..so do I need to join lots and lots of companies and have loads of cards and accounts or are most chargers a tap and go for a coffee, like the one at the services?…help please, as I’m a bit paranoid about going on a long trip anywhere..I used to look at how many miles I have left…now I look at what the battery % is…ok, I’ll shut up now..

forgot to ask…do I need to lock the car to get a charger to work..had my daughter and her mate in the car and I didn’t want to stand out in the rain to charge the car..simply things, if you know the answer..

You don't need to lock car alot of charges now are tap card and will take a holding amount but some will have a app you can register and keep card details on so pay as you go or pay in advance some need app to work

Check out Zap-map to see what charge points are available some will take a CC, some use apps and some RFID cards.
You dont have to read all the posts just put a word or two in the search bar.

You don't have you read a bunch of threads - there are many really informative posts/threads already that are quick to find:
Yo are very persistent in your views regarding rapid charging since joining this forum with regard to your displeasure at having to use apps for rapid charging on longer journeys.

Persistence is a virtue and to be admired, however in this case you don't seem to have kept track of the situation and the information supplied by many on here that apps really are not 'needed' anymore. They may be useful to have as a comfort blanket, or to monitor the charge whilst away from the car, but all the major rapids do NOT require anything more than a contactless card, exactly as you want.

All contactless:
Gridserve
Osprey
Shell
Ionity
Instavolt
Geniepoint
Fastned

plus I'm sure others can add more.

With regards to pricing, petrol/diesel is hardly evenly priced, I have weekly alerts from a website petrolprices.com that advise of the various prices locally, and have you seen the price differential between supermarkets and motorway services or country locations.
Rapid operators may have slightly different pricing amongst themselves (not a cartel then :) ) but at least they are consistent with their prices regardless of location.
There is also ABRP to help with planning, and you can look at chargers on Zap-Map - I do believe it shows the payment method related to a charge point. This is apart from doing a quick check on the main providers you're likely to use, to see the payment options available.
Yes, if you're AC charging (ie at home) and you unlock the car before it's finished charging it will stop charging and allow you to release the cable. It starts again when you lock it.

The earlier software version makes you have to manually stop the charge through the infotainment system or app before it releases.

Worth noting that it doesn't behave this way when DC charging, it continues to charge without interruption when you unlock the car and then has to be stopped via the charger, infotainment or app.

You don't have you read a bunch of threads - there are many really informative posts/threads already that are quick to find
Screenshot_20221130-193246.png
Screenshot_20221130-193401.png

Thanks, you're a gem 🙂. It's such a useful tool that people don't make the most of, and there's so much knowledge shared here. I also find the ability to bookmark posts is a lifesaver...I just can't remember every tip I've come across, and that makes it easy and quick to save useful info in one place.

Unfortunately you probably will end up with a load of apps. If you visit Scotland, ChargeplaceScotland cover a lot here. £10 for the access card. A lot faster than using the app. And some chargers may not have an identifier number.

Otherwise, BP pulse on app. Pod point on app. Found at Tesco / Lidl.

Thanks guy for all this info..I have Zap maps on the phone as well as pod-point..I liked the one I used at the services..tap credit card, (job done) go for a coffee..

N2sty, yes, switched the car off and went for a coffee..

will have a look at the other topics about charging..

You need to turn the car off to start a charge, but one it has commenced you can turn the car back on (but do not press the brake pedal) to gain access to HVAC and infotainment etc.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom