Chargers and Cables

MickeyD

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
MG ZS 2020. Recommendations and advice for home charger units ( do they need to be ‘tied’ to utility provider ) and charger cable ( for away from home charging ). Car only came with granny charger

No need for the charger to be tied to the utility company, and with my experience with BG best not. We have a tethered unit ( cable can’t be removed) , with a separate type 2 cable in the boot of the car. BUT, any charging station which requires your cable for connecting with be 22Kw or less and need you to hang around for hours and hours, so best for overnight charging.

MG ZS 2020. Recommendations and advice for home charger units ( do they need to be ‘tied’ to utility provider ) and charger cable ( for away from home charging ). Car only came with granny charger
What energy supplier are you with as the Ohme works well with many of the Octopus tariffs?

Currently with eon. Just got tethered home charger from dealer. Looking to purchase a type 2 to type 2 cable to carry round in the car. Noticed that there are different types available. Which is the best to use at for example ‘free’ supermarket chargers that are 7kW

You will need a type2 to type2 single phase 32A cable.
You can get them in different lengths and can vary in price but all do the same thing.

No need for the charger to be tied to the utility company, and with my experience with BG best not. We have a tethered unit ( cable can’t be removed) , with a separate type 2 cable in the boot of the car. BUT, any charging station which requires your cable for connecting with be 22Kw or less and need you to hang around for hours and hours, so best for overnight charging.
I purchased my charger off amazon cost me £249
I fitted the unit to the wall in my garage and got an electrician to wire it up.
But you'll need to check first that your home electrics and the need for WiFi connections are sufficient. As I think things have changed since I fitted my charger.

Latest update. home charger waiting to be fitted (any day now)-apparently the supplier, not the utility company, has to give you 'permission' to get it installed, plus your electrics need to be up to scratch

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom