Chargers in multi storey car parks

vertigo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just had my second frustrating experience in as many months trying to connect with destination chargers in a multi storey car park. 25 chargers, all requiring an app or Swarco specific RFID card, located one storey underground where there is no mobile reception (over my network at least). End result - a really frustrating experience failing to connect.

So annoying, and must restrict the market for the charging provider!

Anyway, I just wanted to rant 😁. What other frustrating charging experiences have people had?

Maybe next time have a friend with a phone so they can switch on their hot-spot, you connect, then they walk to the open edge of the car park and if not to far away you should be able to use there charger app . Should work, maybe! 👍😀

Just had my second frustrating experience in as many months trying to connect with destination chargers in a multi storey car park. 25 chargers, all requiring an app or Swarco specific RFID card, located one storey underground where there is no mobile reception (over my network at least). End result - a really frustrating experience failing to connect.

Anyway, I just wanted to rant 😁. What other frustrating charging experiences have people had?
Yeah I hear you it’s good to get it off your chest. :)

I have come across this but noticed that the ones I use allow me to start once I get outside. Not sure if that is the case for these.

I do think that if charging providers insist on having apps to initiate a charge, then they should provide wi-fi hot spots for customers. Better still, make them contactless payment for everyone to use.

Personally, I only have the Pod-Point app because I have a Pod-Point home charger and because they used to be free at Tesco. All other charging I do is contactless, and I haven't missed having an app.

My frustrating experience with a destination charger isn't about connecting - it was ChargePlace Scotland and I have the card. It's that the damn charger has a four hour time limit, and if you go over that by a second you get fined £40. I mean, just, WHY???

This car park has over 800 spaces, and eight type 2 chargers. Nevertheless they are never all occupied. There is no pressure on them at all. And frankly if there were, it would be an indication that they need to install more chargers, not slapping on an overstay fine. This is inside an LEZ in Glasgow.

Why should I be forced to cut my evening short to go back to the car to disconnect? Don't they want me to spend my money in the city? I mean, I'm paying for the damn parking in any case.

Very annoying. I like many carry the Electroverse RFID card as it covers many many suppliers, but I don't think Swarco is one of them unfortunately.

My question is why don't these apps come with their own RFID card built in that we can add to Google Wallet or Apple pay.
Simples as someone once said. :)

You can get an RFID card with Swarco ( or are they now PoGo ? ) ...it'll cost you £10 . For my limited use with Swarco .I declined:)

The Electroverse website shows PoGo as a partner?

then scroll down and click on Which operators are currently partnered with Electroverse

Interestingly I note that Wenea are also on the list. So if I'm ever back in Luss (where they have Wenea chargers but no mobile signal so the app is useless) then I might see if I can use my Electroverse card. :)

Electroverse definitely didn't work with these chargers sadly.

Does the £10 get you £10 worth of credit or is that just the cost of the card?!

Electroverse definitely didn't work with these chargers sadly.

Does the £10 get you £10 worth of credit or is that just the cost of the card?!
No credit just the cost of the card

The Electroverse website shows PoGo as a partner?

then scroll down and click on Which operators are currently partnered with Electroverse

Interestingly I note that Wenea are also on the list. So if I'm ever back in Luss (where they have Wenea chargers but no mobile signal so the app is useless) then I might see if I can use my Electroverse card. :)
Pogo/Electroverse is 79p . PodPoint about 1/2 mile away is 65p. Plus Pogo is for Taxis only ,though I have used it once. In another attempt I couldn't get it to charge

I have heard that pogo is for fleet vehicles or commercial ones only, might be wrong though.

There are similar in a multi storey car park in my town. 4 ForEV DC chargers and 1 AC but luckily they all have contactless.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom