Charging Apps and Vendors

notdodgy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Finding all the different public charging options a bit bewildering.
I now have about 8 apps downloaded, a polar RFID card and 2 other cards in the post.

This article was helpful. Which electric car charging networks operate in the UK?
But finding that some networks / apps / cards overlap is confusing.

So how many different apps / cards do people have?

Some charging networks seem to be in local / specific clusters, I suspect it all depends on where you live and your driving habits.

I think there is a gradual move towards regular contactless debit cards....We have used Instavolt at Necton in Norfolk. It is rather expensive....but a good set up with 8 chargers.

thumbnail_IMG_8622.jpgthumbnail_IMG_8628.jpgthumbnail_IMG_8629.jpg

I now have about 8 apps downloaded, a polar RFID card and 2 other cards in the post.

This article was helpful. Which electric car charging networks operate in the UK?

Some charging networks seem to be in local / specific clusters, I suspect it all depends on where you live and your driving habits.

I have no home charging so rely entirely on the public network.

Locally I have a choice of Polar Plus, Pod Point or Ubitricity - all within a short walk of home. I tend to favour Pod Point because its free, followed by Polar Plus (I have a subscription and RFID card) for location and if these are full and I can't wait it goes on an Ubitricity lamppost. So that's 3 apps already. Add in Zap Map makes 4.

Then for trips out where I need rapid charging I tend to favour BP/Polar where I can but also have Shell Recharge and Swarco (mostly Essex area) RFID cards and, of course, the Ecotricity app for motorway stops.

Wouldn't it be good to just turn up, plug in and pay by card!!!

I have a Polar RFID and ZapMap which is all I have needed in the last four years. During country wide/length trips (from the south coast) I have also used Instavolt and Shell recharge contactless when Polar have been sparse. With all new rapid installations having to be contactless I don't see a need to have any/many RFIDs and ZapMap is brilliant with 'live' up to date information.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom