Charging Apps

Babylon

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Morning

Just a couple of quick questions, still relatively new to all the charging etc. We have a MG ZS Long Range, our longest journey will be to Sheffield traveling from Kent still have a petrol car so thinking of taking that when we do go but thinking of risking it for a biscuit and taking the electric, however I know I will have to stop and charge which is making me a little nervous. I use the M1 as know that route. So just thinking of the following questions.
What are the best apps ?
how does charging work on the go?
Is there an app that tells you where all the different charging points are?
I've downloaded podpoint, bp pulse and shell so far.
Do I have to put money on the apps or will it just take it from my card as i charge?

Thankyou in advance

Some suggestions, in no particular order:
Zap Map
A Better Route Planner (ABRP)
Electroverse (Octopus Energy)
Plugshare
Pod Point
WattsUp
Bonnet (I got this as initially they had some awesome free charging offers, but none now)

All of these apps will show a map with charging locations, and filters so you can filter the type/speed of chargers. Be aware though that Pod Point will only show there own chargers I think. Also, I some only show faster chargers (can't remember if that's ABRP or WattsUp).

Charging on the go - some will allow you to start a charge through the app (e.g. Bonnet and Electroverse) which is what I've only done, other will need a card and/or account.

I'm sure someone more experienced in the use of these apps will be along in a minute...

Oh - Pod Point - you'll get 15 minutes of charge, then it will boot you unless you pay for a charge.

Morning

Just a couple of quick questions, still relatively new to all the charging etc. We have a MG ZS Long Range, our longest journey will be to Sheffield traveling from Kent still have a petrol car so thinking of taking that when we do go but thinking of risking it for a biscuit and taking the electric, however I know I will have to stop and charge which is making me a little nervous. I use the M1 as know that route. So just thinking of the following questions.
What are the best apps ?
how does charging work on the go?
Is there an app that tells you where all the different charging points are?
I've downloaded podpoint, bp pulse and shell so far.
Do I have to put money on the apps or will it just take it from my card as i charge?

Thankyou in advance
I tend to put my intended journey into A Better Route Planner along with my cars details and then double check the suggested charge stops on Zap Map.

I tend to only pick charge stops that have a number of chargers. I also pick a backup. That way I'm not stressed if there's a problem.

Most of the chargers on the motorway will probably work with contactless credit card. You can double check the types of payment method on zap map.

I steer clear of single BP Pulse or Shell chargers. I find Instavolt, MFG and Grideserve work well and they all should take contactless credit card.

I'd also suggest you get an Electroverse card.

Last edited:
Your journey is only about 220/230 ish miles ? What speed are you wanting to drive on the motorway ?
One charge somewhere will do you easily.
Most chargers are contactless, but not all. Look for the dependable Instavolt and Osprey.
Also if you haven't used a Rapid charger yet, use one locally before you go for practice. You don't need to put a lot in, a few minutes will do.

When I purchased my MG I got loads of apps and tried most of them just to add a few kW's as a test, now I check Zap-map and see what's on or just off the route and check if it one of my preferred networks like Instavolt, PodPoint or Osprey. I can check if they are working and available on route.

Don't forget the Tesla option (some of their chargers are open to all), you just need to download their App and it will show you if there's anything useful. Generally supercharger sites have a lot of chargers and they are all 150kW+, can get very busy at peak times but useful for long trips - if the ones available are on your route.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom