Charging etiquette- someone unplugged me!

What we need is charger operators to step up. Any minute plugged in past 100% and charge them extra £1/min and people will make sure to be there at 99% the latest.

So here's my thoughts, if your car was still charging (regardless whether you were using a fast or a rapid charger) people should leave well alone. Unfortunately you only have to watch ICE drivers block petrol pumps so they can buy their butties and shopping proves how selfish he human race is. However if your car has finished charging - the fact you mentioned 80% which is the default charge setting, then I'd say it's fair to unplug you. I have done this before when the charging vehicle had reached 100% and also the charger had an overstay penalty. I did also leave a note on their windscreen to say why and they equally responded with a thanks and a smiley face. I certainly appreciate 'early adopter' etiquette because we were all sharing a limited resource, and I'd like to think looking after eachother.

What we need is charger operators to step up. Any minute plugged in past 100% and charge them extra £1/min and people will make sure to be there at 99% the latest.
Most rapid chargers do have overstay penalties, and as vehicle charge rates increase I'm sure these periods will reduce.

… my car was locked, I thought that locked the charger in place too. Am I wrong?

yes, ccs. I wouldn’t touch anyone else’s car.
I believe the charger will release once it switches off. Had the car still been charging then the cable would have been locked in place. I would be totally happy for someone else to use a rapid charger once I had finished and if I was not there then it was my fault to be still hogging the bay. It's a bit like filling up with petrol and leaving the hose in my car. All the raped chargers that I have used in supermarkets stop at 80% and disconnect.
It is much more annoying to sit by an inactive charger waiting for a shopper to return.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom