Coady

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Went to charge last week with home charger. Flap would not unlock. Phoned dealer who suggested power on/off 2 or 3 times but no use. Advised to contact MG Assist and so AA arrived. He too was unable to unlock. 50% charge left. 2 days later arranged to visit dealer when they forced open with no cosmetic damage. New locking part being ordered. Not sure whether lock only or whole unit needed. Meanwhile I can charge as normal but flap remains open by about 1 cm.
Anyone had similar problem?

They'll probably replace the entire thing, quicker for them. It's possble that the locking pin just got gunged up and jammed but you'll be under warranty so might as well let them swap it out.

They'll probably replace the entire thing, quicker for them. It's possble that the locking pin just got gunged up and jammed but you'll be under warranty so might as well let them swap it out.
One thing to be aware is they have to remove the entire bumper. On my FL I had to get the flap door replaced as the arm snapped. They had to remove the entire front bumper to it.

Went to charge last week with home charger. Flap would not unlock. Phoned dealer who suggested power on/off 2 or 3 times but no use. Advised to contact MG Assist and so AA arrived. He too was unable to unlock. 50% charge left. 2 days later arranged to visit dealer when they forced open with no cosmetic damage. New locking part being ordered. Not sure whether lock only or whole unit needed. Meanwhile I can charge as normal but flap remains open by about 1 cm.
Anyone had similar problem?
Was the temperature below freezing? I had some issues after a day with -4°C, turned out that the locking mechanism is mounted at a little angle, and water had gotten into the lock and froze the lock. "Fixed" it by pushing in the middle spring loaded thing and spraying it full of lock spray and silicone spray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom