Charging in Europe

Prof1967

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Has anyone taken their MG5 to France? If so what are your experiences using their charging networks?
Planning to take ours to France next year and wanted to know if anyone has had any issues.

Not personally though I saw a vid linked on youtube of a chap taking his to Bulgaria?? or somewhere. Plenty of vids of other cars doing Europe trips and from memory it seems to be better than UK for the most part.

This guy drove to Italy and back - https://www.youtube.com/c/AndrewTill

Has anyone taken their MG5 to France? If so what are your experiences using their charging networks?
Planning to take ours to France next year and wanted to know if anyone has had any issues.
Make sure that you sort out all the apps / RFID cards before you go, months before!

Chargemap
Electromaps
Plugshare
NewMotion

Their version of Ecotricity (Corri-door) shut down after a few chargers blew up.

I'm planning my trip for next year and have found that Ionity / Total are currently looking the best but not cheapest. I might try the cheap ones with these as back up

The EVJuice card through Octopus seems to cover networks such as Ionity and Newmotion. I've never tried either but was concerned that there may be compatibility issues with some networks.

I tried charging on the osprey network previously and had a big issue with the car refusing to start a charge or release the cable.
Wouldn't want to be enjoying a holiday in France and then have similar issues.

Some supermarkets (hypermarkets) here are free, Leclerc, Auchan, Intermarche, so worth a little look around when getting any shopping

Not personally though I saw a vid linked on youtube of a chap taking his to Bulgaria?? or somewhere. Plenty of vids of other cars doing Europe trips and from memory it seems to be better than UK for the most part.

This guy drove to Italy and back - https://www.youtube.com/c/AndrewTill
Well that's how not to do it!! Drive at 80mph and charge to 100%! :eek:

Also those Corri-door chargers have gone now, but there are a lot more Ionity chargers.

If he had slowed down to 100 km/hr and charged to 80% he could have halved the travelling time and stops. I suppose we all have to learn to change our ways and I did exactly this when I got my first EV, charging to near 100% just in case but I guess the charger network was dire then.

It also cost him so much because those chargers charge per kW and per minute.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom