Charging issues using Free Chargers

Yojimbo63

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi I'm new to the Forum as I've just noticed an issue and am hoping for some advice as to how this can be fixed - Apologies if this has already been discussed!

For Info I drive a 22 Plate MG HS PHEV

I've noticed that when using Free Electric Chargers (my new employers have two installed) Once I plug in I get the connecting message and the whirring round circle , but this never changes to charging - ie The Car does not charge. If I use a charger that needs to be paid for such as a PodPoint charger I get no issues & the car charges fine. This only appears to happen with chargers where all you do is plug the cables in and don't need to open an app. Has anyone else had similar issues & does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this

Hi yes , other makes of car can charge ok - For further info there is a shopping centre nearby that has free chargers - you just plug in and press a switch & the same thing happens there

Ok
I do not think there is anything wrong with the car or you would have it with the payment charger, The ones at the shopping centre The same make.

Think about this I think it’s software problem on the wall charger which can not communicate with the car, one thing also could be the plug could need to be hold in when the car locks in the plug.

Hi I'm new to the Forum as I've just noticed an issue and am hoping for some advice as to how this can be fixed - Apologies if this has already been discussed!

For Info I drive a 22 Plate MG HS PHEV

I've noticed that when using Free Electric Chargers (my new employers have two installed) Once I plug in I get the connecting message and the whirring round circle , but this never changes to charging - ie The Car does not charge. If I use a charger that needs to be paid for such as a PodPoint charger I get no issues & the car charges fine. This only appears to happen with chargers where all you do is plug the cables in and don't need to open an app. Has anyone else had similar issues & does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this
I use the charger provided with my HS phev and have occasionally experienced an unwillingness to connect to the charger provided with my HS phev. When connecting to the car make sure you push the connector in firmly. If that doesn't solve the problem do the usual with all things electrical, turn off and start again.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I had mine, I found it helped to pull the car plug in and out a few times which I think gave the contact pins a bit of a clean-off. Others have said it helps to lift the rear of the plug assembly to ensure the top two pins are firmly engaged whilst the car chats with the charger. On a type 2 lead that might apply to both ends.

When I had mine, I found it helped to pull the car plug in and out a few times which I think gave the contact pins a bit of a clean-off. Others have said it helps to lift the rear of the plug assembly to ensure the top two pins are firmly engaged whilst the car chats with the charger. On a type 2 lead that might apply to both ends.
Agreed.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom