Charging my EV with my ZAPPI from MyEnergy

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all, this post may be of help to some, it’s about the ZAPPI EV charging unit and some of the things it does.
Normally I’m home a lot during the day so I use this unit to harvest as much solar energy as I can via my solar array and the ZAPPI, for those who may not know the unit has 3 modes that you can use to charge your vehicle,
1st
Fast mode which turns it in to a 7.3 fast charger which is great if you need to charge at home as quickly as possible, also if you have something like Octopus go or go faster, in the 4/5 hour cheap energy window, you could put around 29-35kw into your vehicle, and you can set timers in the unit to come on and go off within that time zone, or for some in your vehicle you can set charging times I can’t do that in my MG5 short range but I could set up the Zappi to do it if I had that type of tariff.
2nd
In another mode called ECO++ in this mode the charger will only sends excess power that is being generated from solar PV, or some other form of self generation energy, maybe a wind turbine if you lucky enough to have one,I wish. And remember it will only use excess power nothing comes from the grid in this mode.
3rd
Next mode is called ECO in this mode Zappi always sends electric to the vehicle by continually outputting 1.4 kw from the the grid but also any excess solar or wind you might generate as well, so if you have a solar array and it’s producing 5kw and in your house and you are running a tumble dryer and washing machine totalling 4 kw the the zappi will send 2.4 kw to the vehicle until the load to the home drops for example washing machine stops but tumbler is still using around 2kw the zappi we now feed 4.4 kw to the vehicle I hope this makes sense.
So now you know how the Zappi works here’s what I did yesterday, I was thinking I needed my car fully charge this morning but didn’t in the end due to change of plans, SOC iwas on about 70% at the start so I put it on charge in the ECO mode as described above and left it to charge at the 1.4kw plus a little bit of solar in between the showers and left it in this mode overnight so 8:30 this morning it was at 96% charged so I left it charging up to full 100% plus a battery balance session at the end as I hadn’t done one for around six weeks.
In my pictures below you will see what happens at the end of charging.

10:11 am car say SOC 100% 203 miles Finished.
C41250A4-AFA9-4F82-BDC2-9C1D71D1E9DA.jpeg
But Zappi shows still charging at 1.4 kw
020B8579-21F3-4CDD-9070-D52672DA74D5.jpeg
So I keep a check on it about every 15 minutes via the my energy App, and at 11:26 the car is still the same SOC 100% 203 miles Finished
A46F92C3-40E9-4A0A-A640-38096CCB7A83.jpeg
Now at this time the Zappi is showing Charging but now at only 0.3 kw,so it is now doing a battery balancing session.
1ED37F76-58C8-4F0A-AAE6-237AB35EE907.jpeg
Then at 13:17 hrs car shows 100% SOC 203miles connected uncharged
95D59F2E-5846-40CF-9098-AE93C707BEAE.jpeg
And now Zappi shows charge complete with a flag.
Now after this I turn on the car and it is showing 203 miles at default setting of Normal mode Kers 2
I change this to Eco mode Kers 1 which I mostly use and now have 214 miles on the Gom.
So I hope this might help some to understand how the balance charge goes on a ZAPPI just a final screen shot of the charging record in the Zappi App
A433FB79-3D4E-4B5F-B3E9-8674A2A79594.jpeg

Thanks les

Last edited:
Your explanation of ECO mode is incorrect. It charges at a minimum of 1.4kw. In your example of 5 kw solar and 4kw house usage the car would charge at 1.4kw and import 400w from the grid with the other 1kw being the solar surplus.
If the house usage drops to 2kw the solar surplus is 3kw and this will be the vehicle charge rate (not 4.4kw).
Eco mode is effectively the same as Eco plus setting with a 0% minimum green level

Also, the explanation of ECO plus mode is not quite right. In this mode you can set the minimum green level in increments of 10%.
If you set the MGL to 50% (say) then the car would charge at 1.4kw provided that at least 0.7kw is available as solar (or wind surplus). Any shortfall between the solar surplus and 1.4kw is imported from the grid. Eg solar generation 1.2kw, minimum green level 50%, house usage 0.3kw - therefore the surplus is 0.9kw. The car will charge at 1.4kw and 0.5kw will be imported from the grid.
If the solar surplus is less than 0.7kw and the minimum green level is 50% then charging will stop.

If the solar surplus is more than 1.4kw the car will charge at the surplus rate (whatever the minimum green level is set to)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom