Chip on the windscreen

So just had a stone chip the windscreen. Heard there is no glass and has to be ordered from MG / SAIC China. Lets hope I can use resin and stop it from fully cracking. Grrrr its a 2 week old car
Same happened to me a few years ago.
New BMW 3 Series, had it one week and a lorry caused a nasty chip in the windscreen.
I had done in less than three days.
The guy at Auto Glass said I had done the right thing.
"Get it done as soon as possible, is what I recommend" - He said.
When it was done, you could JUST about see it if you studied the area really closely.
I had the car for 13 years after this and it never needed any further work doing on the repair, or the windscreen replacing.
Getting it done ASAP is the trick here.
If you continue to use the car, that now very small weak spot is likely to result in huge crack, or even a complete replacement.

Same happened to me a few years ago.
New BMW 3 Series, had it one week and a lorry caused a nasty chip in the windscreen.
I had done in less than three days.
The guy at Auto Glass said I had done the right thing.
"Get it done as soon as possible, is what I recommend" - He said.
When it was done, you could JUST about see it if you studied the area really closely.
I had the car for 13 years after this and it never needed any further work doing on the repair, or the windscreen replacing.
Getting it done ASAP is the trick here.
If you continue to use the car, that now very small weak spot is likely to result in huge crack, or even a complete replacement.
I repair a chip in Leaf30 2 years ago and it’s still good. Ordered resin and will put some on the chip. If it gets worse I’ll get it repaired/ replaced
Booked AutoGlass to come patch it tomorrow

Last edited:
So just had a stone chip the windscreen. Heard there is no glass and has to be ordered from MG / SAIC China. Lets hope I can use resin and stop it from fully cracking. Grrrr its a 2 week old car
If the HS is like the ZS you will need camera calibration following the screen replacement.

Dont you guys have a full insurance package when u buy a new car ? Here in Belgium we have something called "omnium" if you get that , you can get in an accident and even be in fault, if the car becomes a total loss you just get a new car , the same with window chips , running over a deer and so on...... The repair costs will be free only the first 250€ you have to pay the rest is for the insurance company.

Dont you guys have a full insurance package when u buy a new car ? Here in Belgium we have something called "omnium" if you get that , you can get in an accident and even be in fault, if the car becomes a total loss you just get a new car , the same with window chips , running over a deer and so on...... The repair costs will be free only the first 250€ you have to pay the rest is for the insurance company.
Insurance here is a different business.
If you are in an accident and car is written off, Insurance might get you a replacement car if its a new car (less than 1 year old).
Chip repair and replacements are a different category than write off and excess is different.

I was involved in an accident and subsequent write-off. Cost me £350 (compulsory + voluntary excess) and had to get new insurance (double the cost sadly) as my existing one did want to cover the new car

1624613247939.png

1624613278177.png

If the HS is like the ZS you will need camera calibration following the screen replacement.
yes was just told by AutoGlass chap that if the chip grows (looks like it has grown a cm or so) further, it will need new glass.

Said it will be a special order and because of the camera, car will have to be taken in. So no quick turnaround to replacing the glass

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom