Choosing the Right Home Charge Point and Energy Supplier

Hybrid Paul

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi all, I collected my new PHEV Exclusive on Monday. Very pleased.

We are investigating charge points - are there any recommended ones for the MG? Are they worth it? Do owners just stick with the 3 pin plug cable?

I attempted to work out how much I could save by moving to a better tariff, and using intelligent charging - like EDF Go, assuming 6k of electric mileage, out of 8-9k per annum. I reckoned about £300 p.a saving. So it would take 2 years just to pay for the install of a chargepoint. Is it worth it?

Re cost of chargepoint - I am being quoted £550 to £750 dependent on model, but including the £350 grant. £1,000 does seem a lot for the box and installation. It feels as though the installer is getting paid for his time/skill/labour, then getting the £350 back as well. Am I missing something?

Finally, what energy tariffs are peiople on. After working out I can save £300 odd by moving to EDF Go for electric, I then find that I will lose £200 to £250 on my current duel fuel gas tariff with any new Gas only deal. Has anyone found a competative duel fuel deal with a compatative overnight electricity rate?

Thanks!

Hi Hybrid Paul
Re cost of chargepoint - I am being quoted £550 to £750 dependent on model, but including the £350 grant. £1,000 does seem a lot for the box and installation. It feels as though the installer is getting paid for his time/skill/labour, then getting the £350 back as well. Am I missing something?

yes i have to agree with you re having a home charger installed , it seems a bit of a rip off.
Luckily having a PHEV i think you don't really need one , as it can be fully charged in 5 1/2 hours.
Finally, what energy tariffs are peiople on. After working out I can save £300 odd by moving to EDF Go for electric, I then find that I will lose £200 to £250 on my current duel fuel gas tariff with any new Gas only deal. Has anyone found a competative duel fuel deal with a compatative overnight electricity rate?
I have been on octopus for a few years as they always seen the cheapest when i work out the daily rates and energy usage over a year.
The comparison sites seem to quote against the standard tariff rates ( haven't been on them for ages ) , so when you actually work it out on the actual units you use , there is not the big savings they try to say.
Just before I moved to octopus go my 12M duel fuel tariff was up, and the new rate had gone up to
Electricity Gas
16.83p a kwh 2.9 p kwh
24.34p per day 26.06p per day

So I moved to go smarter , the gas moved to just the 12M tariff , and is still the same price
Electricity moved to
20:30 - 01:30 5.5p kwh
01:30 - 20:30 15.64p kwh
25p per day

So the daily charge has gone up a tiny bit , but the electricity rate has come down a tiny bit.
We also try to use the dishwasher and tumble dryer etc after 20:30 , as well as charging the car.
Its early days yet but here are my thoughts
I tend to fully charge 3 time a week so roughly its ( 3 x 0.055 x 52 ) a year =£110
If i stayed on the 12m term ( 3 x 0.1683 x 52) = £341
So i am saving £230 a year just on car charging.
I do not know how much I will save using the white goods after 20:30 , but its a saving.

In the end I will be saving over £230 a year on electricity moving to go faster to charge the car compared to staying on the 12M duel tariff ( the gas will be the same irrespectively of moving or not ) .
I hope that helps

I used to be on Go Electric until last May. Now OctopusEnergy Go Faster 5.5 for 5 hours or 14.2p for the rest. Gas at 2.82p

I’ve stuck with a Granny for now. 11 month for Outlander and now HS

Last edited:
I went for Octopus Go, from their Standard rate.

We already had a compatible Smart Meter so the change occured the same day I requested it at midnight.

The daily standing charge is 25 pence per day inc VAT.

I like their online portal, you can see half hourly usage the following day online.

PeriodPrice (inc. VAT)
00:30 - 04:305.00
04:30 - 00:3013.31

I bought a Project EV Charger from Toolstation who could not be beaten on price. Didn't bother with a Grant, a certified EV Electrical Engineer charged me less than £150 inc. VAT for what was a fairly straightforward install through the Garage wall.

Presently it runs at 5Amps trickle charge until 00:30 when it increases to 32Amps for as long as we program it for. Until the ZS gets a software update.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom