Choosing which car

John Rothery NZ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I was helped by the following government web site which compares the real long term costs of purchase and ownership.

You may have similar in the UK or Oz (Western NZ) or elsewhere, but if not feel free to use it. It's completely free, very flexible and easy to use, and as far as I can tell, unbiased.

Before buying my ZS EV I was planning on buying a Toyota Rav 4 hybrid. However the effects of covid on production meant a wait of at least 6 months. The next model up that the dealer had available was in the same price bracket as the ZS EV. (We have no government subsidies on the purchase of EV's in NZ). Comparing the real world price on the 'genless' site (above) showed that it was cheaper. A look at reviews on You Tube and elsewhere, plus a test drive, and the decision was made.

I am very happy with my decision. I will probably not use most of the electronic add ons, but they are reassuring to have, particularly some of the safety features. I am still getting used to the instant acceleration. Great!

Currently I only use the standard 3 pin socket at home. I suspect it will be all I need. The dealer has a free fast charger, which is an option.

Our network of chargers around the country means we can travel anywhere we want, but, and it's a big but, in most places there is only one charger. Plus, they don't seem to have yet thought of putting a sun/rain cover over them as there are in petrol stations.

My wife has a lovely Kia Seltos, which we can use for a longer journey without having to plan in advance. It also has 'cooled' as well as heated seats, which sounds weird, but is fantastic in the summer.

Regards,

John Rothery (Tauranga) IMG20210428172206.jpg

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase! It does seem like lots of countries have work to do on their charging networks. I guess it means you'll be carrying your granny charger with you as a backup! Let us know how you get on with your new car.

That seems like a useful website too, thanks for sharing :)

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase! It does seem like lots of countries have work to do on their charging networks. I guess it means you'll be carrying your granny charger with you as a backup! Let us know how you get on with your new car.

That seems like a useful website too, thanks for sharing :)
Two days ago we drove from Tauranga to Wellington, stayed overnight and came back yesterday. We did it in the Seltos. It was a business trip. No planning involved, just jumped in the car. The MG would have been a bit more involved. Next time it will probably be the MG with the help of the ABRP app.
The 'granny' charger lives in it's place in the boot anyway next to the emergency triangle.
The electric network in NZ is good but I suspect will need to expand rapidly. No one wants to sit waiting while the car in front is filling up at the only pump in town.
Photo below, breakfast at the former surf life saving club in Wellington.

Attachments

• IMG20210503101658.jpg
    IMG20210503101658.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 119
We have 30 houses in our street. Of those, there is one Leaf, my MG, and my neighbour who is a car geek is pondering getting a Tesla (but he doesn't like the front of it)

So 3 out of 30 and it's only just begun!

Here in NZ we have plenty of electricity, almost all of which is renewable. Most from hydro lakes, locally quite a bit of thermal from under the ground, and further south near windy Wellington, windmills. There is talk of a new giant pumped storage facility based on one built in Wales. So overall we have no excuse.

If EV take up expands at the rate I expect it will, I think that the big challenge will be around the charging infrastructure. Location of the chargers, their number in each spot, and facilities nearby. In addition people parking in the wrong places causing problems. All are easily overcome though and present real opportunities for those clever (and brave) enough to to take advantage.

I have only had my EV for a couple of weeks, but already I could never see myself going back to petrol or diesel.

Attachments

• IMG20210422164343.jpg
    IMG20210422164343.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 117
Two days ago we drove from Tauranga to Wellington, stayed overnight and came back yesterday. We did it in the Seltos. It was a business trip. No planning involved, just jumped in the car. The MG would have been a bit more involved. Next time it will probably be the MG with the help of the ABRP app.
The 'granny' charger lives in it's place in the boot anyway next to the emergency triangle.
The electric network in NZ is good but I suspect will need to expand rapidly. No one wants to sit waiting while the car in front is filling up at the only pump in town.
Photo below, breakfast at the former surf life saving club in Wellington.
That is NOT a view from a window in Walsall that's for sure John !.
Like the late comic Les Dawson once said :- "Went to Walsall once, it was shut". LOL !.
I see from your photo that you are lucky enough to have the darker blue colour that I would have chosen for my car.
Sadly, the darker shade of blue colour that is on your car, is only available on the ICE models in the U.K.
We are offered a much lighter shade of blue here for the EV models.

Last edited:
That is NOT a view from a window in Walsall that's for sure John !.
Like the late comic Les Dawson once said :- "Went to Walsall once, it was shut". LOL !.
I see from your photo that you are lucky enough to have the darker blue colour that I would have chosen for my car.
Sadly, the darker shade of blue colour that is on your car, is only available on the ICE models in the U.K.
We are offered a much lighter shade of blue here for the EV models.
The light blue is only available for EV models here, not the ice ones. Black or white in ordinary paint. Then the other colours in metallic for $500 (roughly £250 or 1100 groats)

While I like the fact that the MG doesn't stand out I also wish it was obvious that it was electric without shouting about it. I suppose I want to have my cake and eat it. I think India may have green number plates for EV's. If the government changed the colour of number plates for electric cars I think it would help their growth and wouldn't cost a bean. I think I will suggest it (I won't tell them the Indians did it first)

Life has it's ups and downs wherever you live, but we have never regretted moving here.

Below - Wellington at the weekend. Winter but you wouldn't know it.

Attachments

• IMG20210502150531.jpg
    IMG20210502150531.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 115
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom