Cold weather and internal heating

shawncullen

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
This morning there was ice on the car. It took ages for the car to warm up internally. I actually put it in Normal mode (usually use Eco) after driving for around 9 miles and this seemed to increase the heat. Do we think this is a thing or did I imagine it? My wife said she was cold even with the heated seats on when we were in Eco mode. Seems to me using car in Eco mode doesn’t push the out of the vents.
Anyone else experienced this?
still enjoying the EV journey. Stopped at a BP Chargemaster and went from 26% to 50% in 20 ish minutes. Very impressed.
Shawn

That is my experience also, I make sure the air con is on recirculate mode, this seems to help but the car seems to take a while to get hot air from the vents. To be honest our last car which was a leaf was similar. Also have heated seats going. My wife pre heats the car.

When in ECO mode it will reduce all energy use, this includes the heating system and so yes you are right when it’s really cold it’s better to switch to normal driving mode until warm and then toggle back to ECO

The heat output depends on the fan speed, watch the amp meter when parked, ramps up and down, very hard to get a reading, mine goes from 0 to 25 amps fan and heater full 12.5 amps x 400 v = watts?

My pleasure, glad that helped, however please note the electric seats can you used all the time without impact on the HV battery as these come off the 12 volt battery and so happy heating.
Just something else I noted and raised on our Pod Cast the other day is that in the cold weather the drivers footwell gets drafty and therefore in better weather I will look at the insulation in this area for next year.

The heat output depends on the fan speed, watch the amp meter when parked, ramps up and down, very hard to get a reading, mine goes from 0 to 25 amps fan and heater full 12.5 amps x 400 v = watts?
But it’s also impacted by your driving mode as this affect heating and your steering sensitivity too.

My pleasure, glad that helped, however please note the electric seats can you used all the time without impact on the HV battery as these come off the 12 volt battery and so happy heating.
Just something else I noted and raised on our Pod Cast the other day is that in the cold weather the drivers footwell gets drafty and therefore in better weather I will look at the insulation in this area for next year.

Hey Mark, Any idea where the draft is coming from?

No I haven’t investigated it yet, but it’s definitely there...will look to add so extra insulation when I can, but it’s a job for the better weather days.

No I haven’t investigated it yet, but it’s definitely there...will look to add so extra insulation when I can, but it’s a job for the better weather days.
There’s the rub, need to insulate to stop the cold, don’t want to be out in a cold garage investigating and installing said insulation 🤣

Vanmorgen lag er ijs op de auto. Het duurde eeuwen voordat de auto inwendig was opgewarmd. Ik zette het eigenlijk in de normale modus (gebruik meestal Eco) na ongeveer 9 mijl te hebben gereden en dit leek de hitte te verhogen. Denken we dat dit een ding is of heb ik het me voorgesteld? Mijn vrouw zei dat ze het koud had, zelfs met de verwarmde stoelen aan toen we in de Eco-modus zaten. Het lijkt erop dat het gebruik van de auto in de Eco-modus de ventilatieopeningen niet uitduwt.
Heeft iemand anders dit meegemaakt?
geniet nog steeds van de EV-reis. Gestopt bij een BP Chargemaster en ging van 26% naar 50% in 20 minuten. Erg onder de indruk.
Shawn
Goedenavond. Sorry voor mijn slechte Engels, maar ik heb een vraag:
als de auto 's avonds volledig is opgeladen en de actieradius is bijvoorbeeld 220 km vol geladen.
En after a cold night the range is 20 km of more less. Is this normal?

If you normally drive in Eco mode, then be aware that the car automatically switches to Normal mode after you start it again. This takes off some miles. To get a correct measurement you have to switch to Eco again and then you see how much electricity it has lost during the night.

Goedenavond. Sorry voor mijn slechte Engels, maar ik heb een vraag:
als de auto 's avonds volledig is opgeladen en de actieradius is bijvoorbeeld 220 km vol geladen.
En after a cold night the range is 20 km of more less. Is this normal?

Translation:-
Good evening. Sorry for my poor English, but I have a question: if the cars are fully charged in the evening and the action radius is, for example, 220 km fully charged. And after a cold night the range is 20 km or more less. Is this normal?

That is my experience also, I make sure the air con is on recirculate mode, this seems to help but the car seems to take a while to get hot air from the vents. To be honest our last car which was a leaf was similar. Also have heated seats going. My wife pre heats the car.
Chris, sounds like you have an Exclusive (heated seats 😉).

Can you advise if you can have AC & heated seats on whilst charging (ie go out and switch car & heaters on before you leave to pre-heat the car) and do you know if this uses the 12v battery or the 44kw main battery?

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom