cold weather problem

tintin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I went out in the car this morning after a cold night -2 and the tyre pressures were showing low on OSF 29 PSi with a fault light on, but the other 3 tyres were showing 29, 29 and 30, after driving for 2 miles they were showing 29.5 OSF and the others 29, 29 and 30.5 with the fault light showing OSF still low, also other fault light flashed up showing auto high beam not working, but was on monday. Is this a software problem. I know the tyres should be 34 PSI, but my MG dealer set them at 32 as I had a hard ride
Mike

First check the osf tyre for nails, sometimes a nail in the tyre will deflate it slightly then reseal. If there are no nails then just pump up all the tyres to your preferred 32 psi whilst cold and drive around for a while and the tyre pressure sensors will reset.

Just remember the tyre pressure takes time to adjust it’s not instantly, I would suggest a slightly higher pressure anyway, I fill mine to 37 when I being running the car so cold go back to about 34 psi

All MGs tpms systems play up in the cold. Put a few extra pounds in each tyre or have tyres filled with gas instead then it doesn’t shrink in the cold!

that problem has cured itself, but another one has replaced it with the horn going beep beep when driving. It might be a couple of minutes or 15 minutes apart and the dealer is baffled and now going in for checks next week, also the cold is affecting the range, full charge reading of 151 miles on eco, went for an 85 mile drive and low batt light came on 28 miles left in the battery

Personally I wouldn't add extra pressure to normal road-going tyres, especially in winter. You may notice some lack of rolling resistance, but you'll likely notice the lack of traction too if you have to stop in a hurry (I wonder if MG Pilot assumes correct tyre pressures when preparing to do an emergency stop?).

Personally I wouldn't add extra pressure to normal road-going tyres, especially in winter. You may notice some lack of rolling resistance, but you'll likely notice the lack of traction too if you have to stop in a hurry (I wonder if MG Pilot assumes correct tyre pressures when preparing to do an emergency stop?).
There are bands of tyre pressures as long as it’s at the top end and inflated when cold there should be no issues at all.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom