Laurie2705

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi first timer with EV, purchased new 73 plate in Sept. All good until this morning at minus 3 degrees. Switched on ignition and pressed front window heater to defrost screen. Although I could hear the air vents, the screen did not defrost. Also pressing the piano key to clear the rear screen, this would not light up or activate. The gear dial would not allow me to choose reverse or drive, only neutral. I kept getting message to press brake to start car but the brake pedal would not compress. After 25 mins or so everything started working and I managed to clear windows and start car. Surely this isn't going to be the norm throughout the winter having to wait nearly half an hour before the battery is ready to operate! Anyone had similar experience or ideas as to why this is the case? Thanks

Doesn't sound quite right to me . I started my MG5 in lower temperatures than that , Sounds as though the brakes were seized from your description . Get in touch with the dealer would be my advice

Hi first timer with EV, purchased new 73 plate in Sept. All good until this morning at minus 3 degrees. Switched on ignition and pressed front window heater to defrost screen. Although I could hear the air vents, the screen did not defrost. Also pressing the piano key to clear the rear screen, this would not light up or activate. The gear dial would not allow me to choose reverse or drive, only neutral. I kept getting message to press brake to start car but the brake pedal would not compress. After 25 mins or so everything started working and I managed to clear windows and start car. Surely this isn't going to be the norm throughout the winter having to wait nearly half an hour before the battery is ready to operate! Anyone had similar experience or ideas as to why this is the case? Thanks
The cold weather should not affect the car to this extent.
I have owned both models of the ZS EV and they have both been subjected to weather conditions much worse than that.
I have to suspect that the car was not fully booted into READY mode correctly, I think you were only in STANDBY mode only.
In standby mode you would have access to the 12 volt items running ( heater blower fans etc etc working ) but the HV traction battery was not engaged, hence no heat / no drive capability.
When booting up the car, apply heavy pressure to the footbrake ( and hold it ! ) then press the START button.
Do NOT release the foot brake pressure until you see both the green READY light in the dash panel AND you hear the acceptance "bong".
If you shift the gear selector before you hear and see these items, the car will complain and is likely to be unresponsive to the request to drive.
If you then powered down the car, then either returned a while later OR carried out the start up process in the recommended way, it should have been fine.
If you did follow the process 100% correctly, it could be a low 12 volt battery state.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cold weather should not affect the car to this extent.
I have owned both models of the ZS EV and they have both been subjected to weather conditions much worse than that.
I have to suspect that the car was not fully booted into READY mode correctly, I think you were only in STANDBY mode only.
In standby mode you would have access to the 12 volt items running ( heater blower fans etc etc working ) but the HV traction battery was not engaged, hence no heat / no drive capability.
When booting up the car, apply heavy pressure to the footbrake ( and hold it ! ) then press the START button.
Do NOT release the foot brake pressure until you see both the green READY light in the dash panel AND you hear the acceptance "bong".
If you shift the gear selector before you hear and see these items, the car will complain and is likely to be unresponsive to the request to drive.
If you then powered down the car, then either returned a while later OR carried out the start up process in the recommended way, it should have been fine.
If you did follow the process 100% correctly, it could be a low 12 volt battery state.
Great thanks for your advice, may well have been my issue being in a rush and distracted with something else rather than an issue with the car/ cold weather. I will follow your advice in booting up the car in future. Thanks again

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom