Collected new ZS Connect but satnav is freezing

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Morning all,

I collected a new Black Trophy Connect SR from the boys in Chorley at the tail end of last week. Drove it back to Swansea and using ABRP made one 20 minute stop to charge at a rapid in Ludlow. No problems at all. Arrived home with 23% remaining. Great!

I am finding the car very impressive, comfortable to drive and I am using everything I need to (HVAC etc. with AC on and set to 21-22 deg.) without worrying about range. For me, it is there to be used. If I have to make a stop to charge, I will choose a rapid and make the stop, grab a coffee, use the bathroom.

As I mentioned, coming down from Chorley to Swansea (about 185 miles total through central Wales) I was using the ABRP through Android Auto and connected to the car. I didn't use the cars own satnav.

Starting yesterday, I tried out the cars satnav just out of interest and it the screen came up with my current location. After moving off, it stayed at the origin location and didn't move. It was basically frozen. I am able to move to other screens and everything else works as it should. Did it again this morning.

Has anyone else had this issue? I haven't contacted Simon at Chorley yet but will do if this persists.

As a point of interest, the last day or so has also seen, when getting ready to move off, the "HV Battery Disconnected" shows and I have to press the start button to shutdown, and press again to start. Is this also something someone has experienced and connected to the satnav issue?

I have searched on this site and also in Google but nothing close comes up.

Thanks,
Andrew

It can be hard to search for something when it can have so many names.

The answer is to turn off dead reckoning; see for example

It can be hard to search for something when it can have so many names.

The answer is to turn off dead reckoning; see for example

Common issue, quickly fixed in about 2 minutes.
Turn off dead reckoning in the head unit and all will be sorted !.
My car was the same.
Regarding the HV warning you are receiving, when you are booting up the car, take your time with the start up process and don’t rush through the process.
Enter the car, foot hard on the brake and keep the pressure applied.
Now, press the “Start” button and wait !.
You will feel the brake pedal sink a little under the pressure applied by your foot.
Keep the pressure applied.
Don’t touch the gear selector unit you get the green READY light in the dash panel.
The car will bong as you get the ready message.
Now you can turn your gear select you chosen gear position.
If you rush the “Start up” process, the car will complain !.
Other owners have witnessed this problem by rushing the start process on both the Gen1 models also.

Enjoy your car !.

Guys,
The power and knowledge of this forum!

Just disabled the 'dead reckoning' (now you mention it, I did briefly see that term whist reading the forum before I got the car, but it didn't register) and just did a run around the block and the satnav is now working fine. (y)

Also, I guess I was rushing the startup procedure, so followed the correct checklist and started up fine just now.

Thank you both very much.👏

Now to sort out the flaky scheduled charging (Ohme Pro/I-Smart).

Common issue, quickly fixed in about 2 minutes.
Turn off dead reckoning in the head unit and all will be sorted !.
My car was the same.
Regarding the HV warning you are receiving, when you are booting up the car, take your time with the start up process and don’t rush through the process.
Enter the car, foot hard on the brake and keep the pressure applied.
Now, press the “Start” button and wait !.
You will feel the brake pedal sink a little under the pressure applied by your foot.
Keep the pressure applied.
Don’t touch the gear selector unit you get the green READY light in the dash panel.
The car will bong as you get the ready message.
Now you can turn your gear select you chosen gear position.
If you rush the “Start up” process, the car will complain !.
Other owners have witnessed this problem by rushing the start process on both the Gen1 models also.

Enjoy your car !.
Excellent, it worked!! many thanks.

What does dead reckoning actually do and why is it there if it causes problems? fwiw I don't use the onboard satnav, I tend to use Waze through Android Auto but I know the wife will use the onboard when she needs it.

What does dead reckoning actually do and why is it there if it causes problems? fwiw I don't use the onboard satnav, I tend to use Waze through Android Auto but I know the wife will use the onboard when she needs it.
It's meant to keep your sat nav position up to date using speed and direction when no GPS signal is available e.g. in tunnel. However, turning this on in the facelift model stops your position being updated altogether therefore best to leave off until software update appears

The label for this function is not at all the same in Danish, i tried setting it to UK to know what option was actually this dead heading.

On my car, this function is turned on, and works fine, it updates the position when going through a tunnel, so the error with this function must be linked to UK language or something.

Maybe it is related to "mph" i would imagine the way it updates this is, if the GPS signal drops, it will use the speed to know how fast you move through the tunnel, and then adjust when you pop out the other end and it reconnects the GPS. Here we use kph, so might be that, which is making the problem

The label for this function is not at all the same in Danish, i tried setting it to UK to know what option was actually this dead heading.

On my car, this function is turned on, and works fine, it updates the position when going through a tunnel, so the error with this function must be linked to UK language or something.

Maybe it is related to "mph" i would imagine the way it updates this is, if the GPS signal drops, it will use the speed to know how fast you move through the tunnel, and then adjust when you pop out the other end and it reconnects the GPS. Here we use kph, so might be that, which is making the problem
Sounds like a software update is likely in the U.K. then !.
OTA - Well I guess we can all dream 😴!.

Sounds like a software update is likely in the U.K. then !.
OTA - Well I guess we can all dream 😴!.
Yeah, i am guessing that we will have an OTA update, right about the time when the first map update for the satnav becomes available.

I have still not found any updates, and my car was preloaded with Q3 2020 maps.

Incredible, that they do not have stuff like this ready at launch.

Luckily i have a mail from someone at MG, that (If they honor it) means that i will atleast have a free map update, when it becomes available (If ever)

On the MK1 i was told, that for the first month or 2 after taking ownership, you were entitled to a free update, (To make sure every buyer had maps that were up to date, at purchase time) so naturally i was a bit worried if i would be "late" for a free update, when they release it

Morning all,

I collected a new Black Trophy Connect SR from the boys in Chorley at the tail end of last week. Drove it back to Swansea and using ABRP made one 20 minute stop to charge at a rapid in Ludlow. No problems at all. Arrived home with 23% remaining. Great!

I am finding the car very impressive, comfortable to drive and I am using everything I need to (HVAC etc. with AC on and set to 21-22 deg.) without worrying about range. For me, it is there to be used. If I have to make a stop to charge, I will choose a rapid and make the stop, grab a coffee, use the bathroom.

As I mentioned, coming down from Chorley to Swansea (about 185 miles total through central Wales) I was using the ABRP through Android Auto and connected to the car. I didn't use the cars own satnav.

Starting yesterday, I tried out the cars satnav just out of interest and it the screen came up with my current location. After moving off, it stayed at the origin location and didn't move. It was basically frozen. I am able to move to other screens and everything else works as it should. Did it again this morning.

Has anyone else had this issue? I haven't contacted Simon at Chorley yet but will do if this persists.

As a point of interest, the last day or so has also seen, when getting ready to move off, the "HV Battery Disconnected" shows and I have to press the start button to shutdown, and press again to start. Is this also something someone has experienced and connected to the satnav issue?

I have searched on this site and also in Google but nothing close comes up.

Thanks,
Andrew

Exactly the same for me on my brand new 22 plate ZS EV Trophy. I booked it in (10 days in total - but they gave me a 71 plate courtesy ZS in the meantime).
I believe it was reprogrammed (a knowledgeable person suggested this to me on this forum). All is perfectlhy fine now...

My MG5 2023 (facelift version) Satnav freezes even though I have the dead reckoning turned off. Seems to freeze at about 40 miles then if I stop for 30 minutes it starts again but freezes a few minutes later

Did you reset the system by holding down the home button as well as turning dead reckoning off?

Thank you for the suggestion but I have tried all of that twice.

The dealer says that they are expecting a software update but did not say when.

Some additional information on the problem.

I had left the car with the dealer but he could not replicate the Satnav freezing. I went to pick up the car and the Satnav froze after about 20m travel. I went for a short drive with the dealer driving and not only did the Satnav freeze it gave the car’s location across the English Channel in Brussels! I was able to plot a route home and the Satnav said over 6hrs. However using the MG App on the phone it correctly showed the car’s location in Lincoln, UK. I left the car with the dealer ( he gave me a courtesy car and apologised profusely. Maybe a hardware fault?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom