Collection question

Neil Fellows

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I'll be picking up my new MG5 from the dealer this Monday. I'm trying to sort insurance out for the pickup day, but at the moment the car registration is not getting recognised since its not registered with the DVLA.

The dealer said it gets registered on the day of collection. They said they're able to register it a few days early so I can sort insurance out online, but I wondered what everyone else's experience was when it comes to collecting / insuring?

I'm sure a simple call to an insurer would sort it, but ideally I wanted to do the process online since I wanted the cash back + GoCompare offer of free excess, both of which I'll lose if I buy over the phone.

I'll be picking up my new MG5 from the dealer this Monday. I'm trying to sort insurance out for the pickup day, but at the moment the car registration is not getting recognised since its not registered with the DVLA.

The dealer said it gets registered on the day of collection. They said they're able to register it a few days early so I can sort insurance out online, but I wondered what everyone else's experience was when it comes to collecting / insuring?

I'm sure a simple call to an insurer would sort it, but ideally I wanted to do the process online since I wanted the cash back + GoCompare offer of free excess, both of which I'll lose if I buy over the phone.
I asked my dealer to provide complimentary drive away insurance which they kindly obliged but warned me about the fact that it comes with 500gbp excess. I had a 30min drive home and decided it was an acceptable risk.
After returning home I updated my present car policy with the new car details for a princely sum of 6gbp towards amendment.

I arranged my insurance through Confused before the car was registered.
The car had to be selected manually but it went through OK complete with Reg No.
Thanks for the info. Ideally I wanted to use GoCompare since they are offering to pay £250 excess in the event of an accident for free (plus Topcashback as well) but unfortunately it comes to a full stop when I have to enter my reg. I can select the car manually no problem and it lists it correctly but still insists on a reg, which stops it working.

Yes - I’ve done a manual selection on go compare when reg not recognized and got cover.

In with aviva, i changed mine online myself through its portal and didn't need the reg.
I will check back once its showing on dvla of course.

Pesky insurance company will try to get out of paying anyway they can.

In with aviva, i changed mine online myself through its portal and didn't need the reg.
I will check back once its showing on dvla of course.

Pesky insurance company will try to get out of paying anyway they can.
So was I but MyAviva would not give me a quote. Nor could they when I phoned them up. Perhaps I spoke to someone who could not be arsed. Their loss as I went with LV.

A few days before the delivery, my dealer shared the plate no. which will be used to register the car. He mentioned an insurance certificate is needed to register the car. As I was driving my part exchange to dealer, I requested for complimentary drive away insurance. He sent me a link for complimentary MG car insurance which provided single day extendable to five days insurance. We used the drive away insurance certificate to register the car. After returning home, I updated car reg in my present car policy.

The car reg does not show up in insurer searches, so you need to manually select car model and later add the reg no.A few websites let you fill both at the same time while a few let you purchase insurance without reg no. only to be added later.

I did mine ok on GoCompare last year the day before it was registered by the dealer.
Did you enter the make as "MG Motors UK", not just "MG" or "MG motors" ?

I had similar problems with confused.com Ended up calling them and did it over the phone without a reg. no. in advance of my pickup if I remember correctly, and still got the confused freebie :) When I bought my ZS, it came with an MG £250 excess insurance thingy I think, so might be worth looking into that, too.

Edit: Just looked, it was a £250 excess return voucher.

I did mine ok on GoCompare last year the day before it was registered by the dealer.
Did you enter the make as "MG Motors UK", not just "MG" or "MG motors" ?
Yes, selected MG Motors UK and the car / model / spec is listed correctly which I'm able to add just fine, its the reg that was the sticking point as it required that too.

All sorted now. Went via Confused.com / Hastings Direct and it worked fine (despite the reg not yet registered).

Strangely enough, if I go via GoCompare / Hastings Direct, it won't work as the reg is not registered yet.

Oh well, free Dominoes pizza it is then :)

All sorted now. Went via Confused.com / Hastings Direct and it worked fine (despite the reg not yet registered).

Strangely enough, if I go via GoCompare / Hastings Direct, it won't work as the reg is not registered yet.

I had the reverse. GoCompare with Hastings didn't work, Confused did. Bit of a faff, but it's a one time hurt I suppose, and you've got a nice new car to help take the pain away.

Ah, so were you just having the problem with the actual insurance company or was the problem getting a quote on GoCompare?

I had the reverse. GoCompare with Hastings didn't work, Confused did. Bit of a faff, but it's a one time hurt I suppose, and you've got a nice new car to help take the pain away.
That's the same as me! GoCompare didn't work, Confused did - even though they both go via Hastings. Anyway, all sorted and can't wait for this Monday!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom