Collision avoidance system

ChrisT

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I had my first experience of the collision avoidance system tonight even though it wasnt needed.

So a car in front of me was turning right but was very slow to make the turn. I was coming up slowly behind and as he or she began to cross the white lines I began to accelerate, probably a little heavily.

Then all of a sudden a loud crunching sound and the car emergency braked, I lurched forward onto the seat belt.

I presume it was my accelerating to aggressively, not crazy aggressive, that caused the anti collision to kick in, quite a scary feeling when the car takes over.

Happened to me the other day. I am actually rather pleased with this gadget. So many minor (and major) accidents are caused by a couple of seconds loss of attention by driver. Being guilty of such offenses I take this as a security issue, making me a safer driver as well as helping avoid idiots around me in the traffic.

I got used to it driving the Prius and manged to minimise the effects by changing my old driving habits of following too close, approaching hazards like cars turning off and parked cars too quickly etc. So applying the same corrected driving style to the MG I hardly ever experience it.

You get used to it when you've had a few cars with AEB fitted. My 2018 Suzuki Swift always used to flash the collision warning when approaching a small physical roundabout near my home. You tend to learn the idiosyncratic behaviour of each individual cars AEB systems and can then drive around it (in my street cars are parked on the left and right and it's like a slow speed slalom, my Suzuki always used to warn me and sometimes try and brake, I just used to anticipate it and push the accelerator to counteract it)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom