• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Comfort 2, HVAC and?

@kiltox
That is very good. In my case, I usually use pod point free chargers and there does not seem to be any way of initiating charging with the non-tethered fast 7kW chargers except by locking the doors to initiate the charge. After my BMS update my charging kept failing if I unlocked the car immediately after initiating the charge and the advise I was given by a MG tech when I raised this issue was as I stated earlier ie safety issue so wait 2 to 5mins and unlock. I now follow this advice and it has worked and has worked perfectly since. Not sure why our cars all seem to be behaving differently but I guess it may be due to the chargers rather than to MG.
My favourite public charger is a PodPoint and it works just fine with the doors unlocked.... I’ve used a few of their chargers now and they’re all the same. My home charger (Ohme) does the same too.

2C6DEDE2-7438-4F1E-A3D8-340606E7BEF3.jpeg

My favourite public charger is a PodPoint and it works just fine with the doors unlocked.... I’ve used a few of their chargers now and they’re all the same. My home charger (Ohme) does the same too.

View attachment 697
@kiltox
How do you start the charge on this pod-point. The one I use will only start with activation from the car and the only way I know how to do that is lock the doors and wait for a minute of two before unlocking again.

@kiltox
How do you start the charge on this pod-point. The one I use will only start with activation from the car and the only way I know how to do that is lock the doors and wait for a minute of two before unlocking again.
Plug it in, it starts charging. Confirm within 15 minutes on the app and it’ll keep charging or it’ll stop if you don’t.

My car will start charging on AC with doors unlocked just fine.

If I come back to the car and unlock the doors I can hear it release the lock on the cable but if I don’t unplug it’ll re-lock and resume charging with the doors now open
No mine doesn't do that. I just tried it. Lock the car, start the charge, waited for 10 mins, unlocked the car, charge stops. Open the door so the auto lock wont engage, the car does not recommence charging, I waited for 30 mins and it did not restart until I locked the doors again. BMS update was done as I can use the scheduled charge on my charger.

No idea why mine is different then! I don’t know what it’s had and not had since it was delivered like it is but it seems to have all of the updates people talk about.

View attachment 697
I use the same type in Tescos, it doesn't start charging until I lock the doors and with the exception of the tailgate, as soon as I unlock the car (doors) it stops charging.
As a matter of interest, how do you stop the charge ?

No mine doesn't do that. I just tried it. Lock the car, start the charge, waited for 10 mins, unlocked the car, charge stops. Open the door so the auto lock wont engage, the car does not recommence charging, I waited for 30 mins and it did not restart until I locked the doors again. BMS update was done as I can use the scheduled charge on my charger.
Which update? There’s one from August that allows for charging on AC whilst unlocked.

There have been 2 BMS updates.

The first one in December 2019
then another one in August 2020.

There was the 2nd Generation Comfort System update in July

There was a HV fuse update also in August/September.

The drivers door wiring loom update only affected early cars. Check with your dealer if your car is affected.

Some of the dealers seem to be a little remiss about updating the cars to the latest firmware and not all know about the updates

Which update? There’s one from August that allows for charging on AC whilst unlocked.
Im not sure which one, but it was done last week. I presume the one from august supersedes the first one?

Plug it in, it starts charging. Confirm within 15 minutes on the app and it’ll keep charging or it’ll stop if you don’t.
@kiltox
Thanks.
When using this type of pod-point at Tesco mine does not start charging when I just plug it in. I have to lock the car first only then do I hear the clicks of the plugs getting locked in and charging begins. Thereafter if I open the door after a minute of two it will continue charging with the doors open if I subsequently close and open then it stops charging and unlocks the plugs.
I was under the impression that is now working perfectly as it was meant to work with the BMS update. The MG tech advised me the initial lock is required for safety.
@kiltox just to be sure. Can you confirm that the charge is not being activated by the your auto-lock function on your car?
Often I do not have to lock the car myself the autolock locks the car as soon as I am plugged in and charging then begins with doors and mirrors in lock position.
It seems very strange that we have all had the same update but your cars seem to be behaving in four different ways.

It definitely isn’t automatically locking the doors. I’ll film the process next time and show you :D

Hello, in a few days I am going to pick up my new ZS EV. The seller promises me to do all updates but as a newb with all those abbreviations I have problems to understand what what kind of updates are out there and how to check if they are installed. Could someone list me the updates an full updated car should have?

Hello All,

I've been quoted half hour labor for the BMS update (around £50). Is it supposed to be free of charge?
Yes! Only the comfort 2 update is chargeable, the others are service bulletin driven from MG, tell the dealer to call MG to confirm this if needed, you should not be paying for this.

Yes! Only the comfort 2 update is chargeable, the others are service bulletin driven from MG, tell the dealer to call MG to confirm this if needed, you should not be paying for this.
But which updates exist? Even if the other are not chargeable it would be good to know if they made them :)

But which updates exist? Even if the other are not chargeable it would be good to know if they made them :)

As far as I know in order:

• Delayed charging start software fix. ( Warranty fix)
  • Drivers door wiring loom replacement. ( Warranty fix)

This was on early build cars, more recent built cars should already be sorted.

* Comfort 2 software upgrade (Optional improvement, chargeable, but nicer dealers do it free!)

All cars built after, I think, July, should come with this from new.

• Fuse blowing issue, software fix (Warranty fix)
  • AC charging whilst unlocked (warranty fix)

Others might know more than me!

@kiltox
Thanks for the video. I think MG really has a problem with the BMS delayed charging, charging with doors open issue. I do not understand why it seems several of us have our ZS EV behaving differently after this update. My ZS EV will on AC with doors open but one has to lock and wait for a minute or two before unlocking then charging will continue. To stop one has to lock and unlock again. Spoke to MG tech and it seems there is no understanding what is happening here but as it is not a big issue just a matter of one extra lock and unlock and a short wait seems everything is working OK. So I will use it as it is for now.

@kiltox
Thanks for the video. I think MG really has a problem with the BMS delayed charging, charging with doors open issue. I do not understand why it seems several of us have our ZS EV behaving differently after this update. My ZS EV will on AC with doors open but one has to lock and wait for a minute or two before unlocking then charging will continue. To stop one has to lock and unlock again. Spoke to MG tech and it seems there is no understanding what is happening here but as it is not a big issue just a matter of one extra lock and unlock and a short wait seems everything is working OK. So I will use it as it is for now.
Its scary when the MG techs dont know whats going on. Again I say it, they have had zero training on these cars. Their knowledge will get better over time.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom