Committing suicide plugging in...

Dougal62

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Our user manuals (yes, I've actually read a fair bit of it) tell us not to attempt charging our vehicles whilst it it raining or if we might stand in water (presumably snow and ice counts).
Of course, we have to take this with a pinch of salt - oh, wait a minute that will make us even more conductive.
Honestly though, just wondering what people thoughts are. I've connected/disconnected many times already when things are wet.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as the protective cover was over the socket, and the plug isn't dripping with water, it will be fine. The connectors are well recessed to prevent a short circuit. All these conectors have to pass a safety rating (maybe with the exception of China), and even knock offs have to use the same pin configurations.

Yes I realise. It's just so funny what the manual says. In some areas I would imagine only being able to use the car a few times a year. Like the West coast of Scotland. Unless you can charge under cover of course. I mean on the one hand we have a people that have companies that don't seem to be able to think about safety and other companies that are up there with the best for technology, and to say that we should not plug in our vehicles if it is raining or even wet on the ground is ridiculous. It's just so funny!

My take on this is, that as long as the charge has stopped or not started there's no high voltage present so no danger. All that is live until the charge starts is the (12v ?) signal pin.
Unplugging whilst it's charging could be dangerous.

I can't unplug mine while it's charging thankfully. It could also cause sparking and erosion of the contact pins. So at least they've got that part right.

I’ve plugged when it’s pouring
And I’ve plugged when it’s dry
Never thought for one second
I was going to fry
But remember in forecourts
What frightened me most
Was the twits smoking fags
Was I gonna be toast ?

My take on this is, that as long as the charge has stopped or not started there's no high voltage present so no danger. All that is live until the charge starts is the (12v ?) signal pin.
Unplugging whilst it's charging could be dangerous.
Common sense has prevailed, there are enough safeguards to prevent someone doing anything too stupid.

Having said that, I did see someone at Morrisons who had managed to plug their type 2 lead into the top half of a CCS connector (effectively using the tethered charger as an extension lead) & expected it to work. Fortunately (and, reassuringly) the charger wouldn’t start for them.

Resisted the urge to take a photo, after some mild WTF enquiry they’d been given a Corsa e by their garage. They’d never used an electric car before and had managed to get it to work at Tesco but hadn’t seen a CCS before and assumed it worked the same way

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom