Considering EV, Should I or shouldn’t I?

Aussieinuk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I’m about to buy a new car soon. I am undecided whether I should by an ev or stick to a hybrid similar to what I currently have ( Lexus CT200h) . Maybe someone here can give me some advice. I don’t do a lot of miles, round trip to work is 6 miles. Last year I only did 2500 miles in total. As I live in a flat I don’t have access to home charging, however there are a few public charging stations close to home. I like the reviews I have read about the MG ZS EV. People seem to be happy with it. It suits my budget. Should I go for it, or is it a false economy in my case?

From me personally and without a shadow of a doubt go for it...test drive it and you be so pleased and it’s a great way into the world of EV. I was initially concerned about the range (which isn’t a problem for you) as I do about 17000 - 19000 miles per annum, but it’s simply changing behaviours for longer drives.
I’m saving a fortune of fuel, road tax and congestion charges compared to my previous Volvo xC90

From me personally and without a shadow of a doubt go for it...test drive it and you be so pleased and it’s a great way into the world of EV. I was initially concerned about the range (which isn’t a problem for you) as I do about 17000 - 19000 miles per annum, but it’s simply changing behaviours for longer drives.
I’m saving a fortune of fuel, road tax and congestion charges compared to my previous Volvo xC90
I agree completely with Mark, much lover cost for almost everything. I have a smile on my face every time I drive my EV:)

I agree completely with Mark, much lover cost for almost everything. I have a smile on my face every time I drive my EV:)

I'll second that. At such a low annual mileage you should be able to get away with free charging at supermarkets while shopping so fuel costs could actually be zero.

On a pure economics front if the ZS (or other EV you look) at has price parity with a Ct200h, or other hybrid you look at the EV will win out, single speed reduction gear is so much more pleasurable to drive than a CVT, also you’ll have way more instant torque and the power delivery is much more fun than in a hybrid

Last edited:
I also agree. The cost savings are fantastic and one pedal driving has to be experienced. You can see some negatives on this site but the majority of owners are happy, I think. Take test drives of other manufacturers to be sure. I did and quality and value for money made my choice easy. Good luck.

I also pondered a Hybrid to replace my 13 year old diesel but I eventually decided to go full electric. I didn't want to still have to pay for exhausts, filters, oil change, spark plugs and most importantly DIESEL or PETROL. I say go full battery it drives so smoothly and you can feel happier on the school run knowing that you aren't pushing out noxious fumes. Just my opinion.

Happy with my ZS EV and the world of EV driving generally. For the price, it's a great car and well specified. Range won't be an issue for you, you may even be able to make use of free chargers near you (check out Zap Map, you don't have to register) making even more savings. Take a test drive, see what you think. The new MG5 may appeal as well.

Thanks very much for all your replies. It certainly is ‘ food for thought’. A couple more questions. Will the range drop significantly during winter? Will an EV lose charge if parked for long periods? Thanks.

You will lose some range in colder conditions, but again nothing that would cause you concerns on what you’ve stipulated. Again you will loose some drop off if not used for long periods of time, but what sort of time frames are you referring too if parked for long periods, hours, no, days, no, weeks, maybe a little, months yes but to what degree I’ve no idea...
Another point to note is that your service costs will be greatly reduced too. The risk of failure reduces for 18000 moving parts on an ICE to about 8 moving parts. Generally your brake pads will last longer as you’ll use Regen to slow the car..
To every one else have I missed anything?.

You will lose some range in colder conditions, but again nothing that would cause you concerns on what you’ve stipulated. Again you will loose some drop off if not used for long periods of time, but what sort of time frames are you referring too if parked for long periods, hours, no, days, no, weeks, maybe a little, months yes but to what degree I’ve no idea...
Another point to note is that your service costs will be greatly reduced too. The risk of failure reduces for 18000 moving parts on an ICE to about 8 moving parts. Generally your brake pads will last longer as you’ll use Regen to slow the car..
As I travel for my work frequently the car may sit for up to a month, however the current situation has put a stop to travel. I can see the cost savings compared to a standard car and I imagine that an EV shouldn’t depreciate as quick.

As I travel for my work frequently the car may sit for up to a month, however the current situation has put a stop to travel. I can see the cost savings compared to a standard car and I imagine that an EV shouldn’t depreciate as quick.
I use the car a lot for work and I save about £200 per month on fuel compared to what I do pay now; I am also cleaver as I use free charge as much as possible if you look on Pod-Point they have quiet a few free locations and so when working I sit and do emails, make calls or read whilst charging...makes me happy to charge for free and then claim mileage allowance..

It will heat up instantly ;-)
Remember brake discs are made of metal, so use them, brake hard once in a while in regen 1 otherwise you will end up with to much rust on the the brake discs, that is one of must common mistakes people have when they enjoy the simple pleasure of driving with regen/one pedal driving.

My wife and I have enjoyed driving fully electric for four years and have no desire to go back to a ICE car. We are now both retired and only do about 6000 miles per year. When we had a diesel or petrol car the biggest problem was the lack of use seemed to rot the exhaust, now we don't have an exhaust or clutch. or gear box or engine oil to change. Go fully electric and ENJOY.

No brainer for me I actually took the wife shopping today and said take as long as you like,HaHaHa as I was plugged into a free 7kw charger!! go for it.
Ha ha. I can easily see why shopping trips ( which I hate) would last a lot longer. It wouldn’t bother me having a snooze in the car while the ‘ missus’ does the shopping.

I agree with all comments above, in addition I have also found my insurance is cheaper as well.

I have a Kia Niro hybrid & have just had a test drive of the MG ZS EV today, I didn't hesitate to order it over getting another Kia Niro which I thought was a great car, Fabulous car for the money & the KERS one pedal driving is a blast. :cool:

I watched a youtube review of this MG ZS EV recently ( forgotten who it was!) who said there wasn't much difference between level 1 & level 3 regenerative braking!!! Rubbish, there is a huge difference between each level, I love it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom