Considering purchasing the MG 5

lebelinconnu

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi everyone, I am the current owner of a 5.5 year old 30kwh Nissan Leaf and am considering a new MG5. I am a teacher so will qualify for the affinity scheme and have found a dealer who is prepared to do business with me. The car seems to tick all the right boxes as regards range and the size of the boot/ rear leg room etc. and online reviews seem pretty positive.
Having read many posts on this very helpful forum, I have been slightly concerned by a minority of posters who have experienced battery faults. I realise this would be covered under the warranty but it would obviously be very disruptive. I would love to hear from anyone who has had this issue- how long did it take to resolve, were you provided with an alternative vehicle, did the fault occur at home or at a public charging point? I would be doing the vast majority of my charging at home if that helps. I currently don't have a home charger but would be aiming to get one installed.
I have been ultra cautious ever since purchasing a used Ford Focus in 2013 which had a major engine fault (head gasket) 2 weeks after I had bought the vehicle in a private sale. I was guilty of not doing sufficient research before this purchase as the model in question had a high rate of engine failure (trying to get too many BHP out of a 1.0 engine!) but I hadn't realised this fact! I understand purchasing a new EV is a completely different kettle of fish, but I have always done extremely thorough research ever since!!
Many thanks for any insights you can offer.

Not sure what you mean by battery faults? if it's the HV battery disconnect thing, it's not a fault(imo). My own experience with it (twice) is it happens only on a rapid charger if you go over 90% soc. It's down to either the battery temperature or the soc of the 12v battery dropping below 13.something. The car has 2 'on' states, like half on and full on, half is where you press the on button with your foot off the brake and all the electrics come on but the 12v batt is not charging. If you're running lots of kit and A/C etc the charge can drop quickly. When/if you get the disconnect, just sit for 5 or ten minutes and all is good again.

Many thanks- I'm sure I had read reports of vehicles having to be returned under warranty with some sort of battery failure which happened at low SOC- I thought I read something in the region of 17% and then a sudden unexplained shutdown.

Hi,
The post I have seen have been where rapid chargers have been used and left to chargecto full. I stop between 80-90% so not had any issues.
It maybe because things get warm so lets see if these reports come in over the winter.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom