Contradicting Ohme app and car charge amount

Alimack60

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
can anyone shed light on this ?
I have my ZS EV on an Ohme charger. Yesterday I charged to the maximum which according to the app was 163 miles.
but when I got in the car the mileage was only showing 137 miles remaining. Any suggestions ?

Did you reset the accumulated trip, so the range calculation was reset to being based on the WLTP 163 miles rather than your driving data?
At full charge, in Normal 3, with acc trip reset, the car on but not in ready mode (start button without brake pedal pressed) = 163miles (well say 161-163)

I think the app makes a few assumptions. It believes that you will drive as per the wltp driving pattern and you will obtain the full range that MG would to get its ratings. It also believes that there is lossless power transfer. We all know that is never possible as there will be some losses in conversion. Also the GOM will be reflection of your driving style. As there is no way for the charger to read the battery soc it will charge as per ideal scenario. It will not take into account ambient temperature. Battery temperature and other variables. The ohme app has a feedback facility I find the team very good at replying.

I've not got my ohme charger yet.
But I was planning on making it come on when my cheap rate starts and then, either going off when the cheap rate ends, or telling it to just carry on as long as it takes.
Can you do this? or do you have to do it based on how many miles you want?

But I was planning on making it come on when my cheap rate starts and then, either going off when the cheap rate ends, or telling it to just carry on as long as it takes.
Yes you can set it to charge when cheap rate is available. I’m waiting for my switch to octopus to go through so I can do that.

Octopus Go tariff with 5p 4 hours charging set
Screenshot_2021-03-16-09-14-31-193_io.ohme.android.jpg

Sorry to say that the Ohme app and charger only guess the mileage, as the relay box doesn’t communicate with our mg ZS at all!
We’ve had our box since August last year and have never seen the charge amount and Gom the same.
We did have a lot of trouble getting the box to smartcharge since the app update in February but contacted Ohme and they sorted it eventually.
To give some idea of the amount charged just look at the kWh amount and ignore the mileage.

Last edited:
When car does not give many miles of range, is better to have it charge as much as possible Never knows when will be need (or must) to jump to the car and drive.

If your provider such as Octopus is listed on the app when you set it up you can set charger to only charge at cheap rate.

API support means (I only have my brother in laws experience to relay so correct me if I am wrong) that you have to hand over your username and password for the app. The ohme charger then collects the information by interrogating the car via the cars app to get soc.
as in my brother in laws case, Kia updated something on the api, consequently he lost that functionality until ohme upgraded their end.
I was hoping that there would be direct communication. But it does not make a difference to us at present.

@Alimack60
A few points here:
1. There is no app/api for the car so it doesn’t know how many miles/percentage of batter is left.
2. Ohme has to work on some values, and the only ones they have are the WTLP figure of 163 miles, which is the test figure based on fairly ideal conditions.
3. At this time of year 137 miles in Normal with HVAC (heating, ventilation & air conditioning) on is bang on.

To use with MG ZS EV:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom