Corroded rear brakes

AndyNWuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just had my ZS EV turn 3 years old (70 plate) with only 6317 miles on the clock and today I took it into my dealer in Burnley for its 3rd service and First MOT.

After leaving the car for an hour, I received a phone call from the dealer saying the mechanic says the back brake hubs are badly corroded and needed replacing as soon as possible - price £402.00

I am not a mechanic and have always trusted this dealer especially as they sorted out all the updates for me in the early days which the original dealer that I bought the car off in Preston seriously messed up.

But I have to say, I didn't expect to be replacing brakes with such a low milage and for them to corrode so quickly.

Is this a result of low quality Chinese Steel at fault here?

Anyone else had the same issue?

Andy ( Blackpool)

Likely with that little mileage over three years and the fact EVs aren’t making much use of the rear brakes due to regen braking corrosion has built up prematurely.

You aren’t the first victim of this.

Only work around is to regularly exercise the brakes fully.

I can see in future EVs having no rear friction brakes at all.

Likely with that little mileage over three years and the fact EVs aren’t making much use of the rear brakes due to regen braking corrosion has built up prematurely.

You aren’t the first victim of this.

Only work around is to regularly exercise the brakes fully.

I can see in future EVs having no rear friction brakes at all.
Yes you are probably right, the garage told me something similar as it could have been down to the low mileage.

So to exercise the breaking more, would it be better to reduce the severity of the regen braking to lower level i.e. 1 or 2 and use the pedal more?

Andy

I had a similar problem with my MX5, during lockdown I did so few miles that my garage suggested that my rear disks would need replacing before the pads due to rust.

I suppose this is one benefit of ACC using brakes rather than regen, your brakes get a good workout.

Just had my ZS EV turn 3 years old (70 plate) with only 6317 miles on the clock and today I took it into my dealer in Burnley for its 3rd service and First MOT.

After leaving the car for an hour, I received a phone call from the dealer saying the mechanic says the back brake hubs are badly corroded and needed replacing as soon as possible - price £402.00

I am not a mechanic and have always trusted this dealer especially as they sorted out all the updates for me in the early days which the original dealer that I bought the car off in Preston seriously messed up.

But I have to say, I didn't expect to be replacing brakes with such a low milage and for them to corrode so quickly.

Is this a result of low quality Chinese Steel at fault here?

Anyone else had the same issue?

Andy ( Blackpool)
Use the ACC (now and then) and the rear disks will stay shiny, reason: the ACC use the rear brakes for speed control.

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I have now adopted a new way of driving to prevent premature corrosion in future.

Firstly, I now start any journey on REGEN 1 rather than running all the time on REGEN 3.

Secondly, I try to use the Automatic Cruise Control (ACC) or MG Pilot more even when travelling around town.

Thirdly, I came across a product call ATOM-MAC made by Bill-Hamber which you spray onto the discs and hubs as an anti-corrosion treatment. So I am going to give it a try as they seem to have an excellent reputation for their products online. I have included a link below.

Andy (Blackpool)

Bill-Hamber Atom-Mac

They do make some really good products Andy !.
The concept here is very good, but the weak point is that you can’t treat the backside of the brake disc / rotor of course.
Rear access is very limited due to the steel disc shield.
Increasing the use of the brakes will have a lot of benefit when it comes down to helping with the reduction in rust / pitting affecting the discs.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom