Cost of charging a BEV

MichaelJHunt

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
The cost of charging a BEV has increased greatly this year.

For long journeys it can be nearly as expensive to travel in a BEV as using an ICE car.

What is going to happen when the government start to regain the lost fuel revenue by some method of taxing BEV driving?

It’s going to make driving a BEV very expensive.

On long journeys if you are using the expensive charge points, then it will be worse. But even charging peak time at home I'll pay about 8p per mile. Equivalent at 44mpg is about 20p. I'll take the hit on my less frequent long trips.

If you leave home with 100% that must save a bit and you only have to charge it up enough to get home to charge up cheaply again.

The government gets around £22 billion in fuel duty revenue every year. That’s about 2.5% of all receipts.

Roughly 30 million cars on the road means each car pays about £800 per year in fuel duty.

Average mileage in 2019 (pre-lockdown), was 7400 miles.

£800 / 7400 miles = 11p per mile.

So the government (which means all of us), is losing 11p for every mile a BEV is driven.

Also remember that the VAT income is also reduced because charging at home on grid electricity only incurs VAT at 5%.

The government gets around £22 billion in fuel duty revenue every year. That’s about 2.5% of all receipts.

Roughly 30 million cars on the road means each car pays about £800 per year in fuel duty.

Average mileage in 2019 (pre-lockdown), was 7400 miles.

£800 / 7400 miles = 11p per mile.

So the government (which means all of us), is losing 11p for every mile a BEV is driven.

Also remember that the VAT income is also reduced because charging at home on grid electricity only incurs VAT at 5%.
I think you're maths is a bit out.
In Great Britain, there were 31.9 million cars (81.7 per cent), 4.4 million LGVs (11.3 per cent), 0.5 million HGVs (1.3 per cent), 1.3 million motorcycles (3.4 per cent), 0.14 million buses & coaches (0.4 per cent) and 0.78 million other vehicles (2 per cent) licensed at the end of December 2021.

The LGVs and HGV's obviously do a lot more miles that the average car driver which you don't appear to have taken account of.

By my very quick 'calculation' it works out about 2.6p per mile, or £192 per car, not taking into account buses, motorcycles or 'other vehicles', which would bring that figure down again.

Last edited:
I think you're maths is a bit out.
In Great Britain, there were 31.9 million cars (81.7 per cent), 4.4 million LGVs (11.3 per cent), 0.5 million HGVs (1.3 per cent), 1.3 million motorcycles (3.4 per cent), 0.14 million buses & coaches (0.4 per cent) and 0.78 million other vehicles (2 per cent) licensed at the end of December 2021.

The LGVs and HGV's obviously do a lot more miles that the average car driver which you don't appear to have taken account of.

By my very quick 'calculation' it works out about 2.6p per mile, or £192 per car, not taking into account buses, motorcycles or 'other vehicles', which would bring that figure down again.

My man-maths was never good :)

Fuel duty is £0.52 per litre, or £2.34 per gallon.

Typical car means 1 mile incurs about 5p to 6p per mile at 40 to 50mpg :)

Typical BEV does 4 miles / kWh.

So the government needs to get between 20p to 25p in “fuel revenue” from BEV for every kWh.

Last edited:
My man-maths was never good :)

Fuel duty is £0.52 per litre, or £2.34 per gallon.

Typical car means 1 mile incurs about 5p to 6p per mile at 40 to 50mpg :)

Typical BEV does 4 miles / kWh.

So the government needs to get between 20p to 25p in “fuel revenue” from BEV for every kWh.
I wouldn't argue with that, I did think about doing it that way, but decided to stick with your original method, but throw in HGV's.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom