• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Cost of dealer software updates (UK),'authorised' by MG, UK

Starresources

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Three weeks ago I took my car in for its 2nd service (5,000 mile at a cost of £300, Baylis, Gloucester). I asked them to check for any software updates and to explicitly investigate two issues: 1) plug-in charge plug/socket has to be held up when locking car remotely (else it fails to charge); 2) the infotainment and Apple Carplay system keeps going off, necessitating a very long press on the Home key to reset the system.

Baylis contacted MG UK the next day (01/03/23) and subsequently called me to state that updates had to be "authorised" by MG UK; MG has "authorised" a replacement charger socket/circuit, and an update to the infotainment system. However, Baylis understands that several other updates are available; in particular the BMS (battery management) software has an update available which MG has not authorised; Baylis quoted 2 hours' labour for this (and other updates) at a cost of around £250 labour to me !!! This was 2 weeks ago and I have not heard back from Baylis, since, confirming they have the charger parts in stock

Shouldn't updates be a standard part of the annual service, and included therein?

Maybe this is a rouse on part of MG UK (to save opening the floodgates for additional costs it does not wish to bear) or just Baylis chancing their arm. I would be interested to hear your views on the cost of software updates that you may have been charged. In my opinion, should be covered as part of an annual service, and/or MG UK's 7YG. Thank you.

You have to know what any update is before you can determine whether it's essential or nice-to-have.
Anything BMS related sounds essential though so I'd have expected it to be an integral part of the service.

My understands is that updates are part of the service my one was to be done on my last service but the computer was down. There is not a lot of real labour involve not like changing the brakes say, just plug in the computer and then set it off and no more input until it finishes to unplug the compute. Is the charge for both jobs I would think the charge socket would be under warranty but they may say ware and tear, could I ask do you charge with the granny charger and do you have hold the plug.

Maybe you should as MG Uk the software update policy if chargeable or not or down to the dealership decision.

Attachments

• A4693164-A08C-47FD-9106-AEA790EEB349.png
    A4693164-A08C-47FD-9106-AEA790EEB349.png
    718.7 KB · Views: 143
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom