Couple of questions..

JuziWomble

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
So - Collected the ZS Saturday - Very happy - Nice Ride, in-comparison to the sprightly & considerable more firm 4 - Also I think its MORE Economical than the 4 on the motorway 3.9 with heating on and cruise!

Anyone had issues with the auto lock when you hit what 6 mph +- / Passenger Door you can here a ratchet clicking clunking noise for all of 5 seconds - Assume warranty work when its with MG in a few weeks.. - Do you know if you can disable auto lock till we get to the dealers?

Sticky Door handle - when you open Drivers door the handle stays out - So the door doesn't shut fully - Is that a case of something like a silicone grease sprayed into the latch feeder ??

Finally - my AliExpress mud flaps - Rears of one of the sets I ordered fit (so yes there is a difference between the mrk1 & mrk2 on the rear bumper) - Great - But neither of the fronts I have are clearly not tall enough to marry to the factory trim washer press in nut thingy - & I'm not keen on screwing into the black plastic trim (incase I hit metal of the wheel arch panel) using the self tappers that came with the mud flaps ?!

Do MG do front Mud Flaps ?!

3.9 is very good, I managed only 3.6 when it was warmer, I'd say I'll be nearer 3 now.

I'm sure I have seen auto lock disable.

Yes lube the handle.

Mud flaps same across the years here.

Take a look at this

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sticky Door handle - when you open Drivers door the handle stays out - So the door doesn't shut fully - Is that a case of something like a silicone grease sprayed into the latch feeder ??
Yep - Had this on both of the ZS EV’s we have owned.
The external handle tend to stick our, when it is cold.
It’s a common issue, but is an easy fix.
Pull out the handle until it is fully extended, then you can use a spray lub of your choice.
I went for a very short shot of WD40 first, then worked the handle in and out about a dozen times.
Then pulled out the handle and sprayed some of the WD White Lithium grease inside.
Repeat on every door one by one.
It’s a good idea to spray white lub into the locks / hinges and don’t forget the boot & bonnet catch’s.
This worked on both of our ZS EV’s.

Yep - Had this on both of the ZS EV’s we have owned.
The external handle tend to stick out, especially when it is cold.
It’s a common issue, but is an easy fix.
Pull out the handle until it is fully extended, then you can use a spray lub of your choice.
I went for a very short shot of WD40 first, then worked the handle in and out about a dozen times.
Then pulled out the handle and sprayed some of the WD White Lithium grease inside.
Repeat on every door one by one.
It’s a good idea to spray white lub into the locks / hinges and don’t forget the boot & bonnet catch’s.
This worked on both of our ZS EV’s.
My memory served me correctly then !.
The rear mud flaps are slightly different on the face lift model.
I think this is because the face lift has a slightly different bumper cover shape than the original model.
I think the front flaps are the same on both.
I had the MG flaps on our original model and they need holes drilling to accommodate the self tapping screws.
The ones that came with the flaps were only mild steel and started to rust within weeks.
I switched them out for some black coloured stainless steel screws.
Regarding the auto locking, once you get above about 10Mph you should hear a single “clunk” as the central locking mechanism locks all of the doors.
No ratchet type sound, just a buzz from the relay and then a solid clunk.
Oh - Here is the spray grease I used.

Thanks guys

I have WD-40 White Lithium Spray - But will grab some wd-40 to 'lube' up prior to applying into the handle aperture :)

re the auto locking - no single clunk - but a defined uncomfortable ratchet griding uncomfortable noise - lasts less than a few seconds..

When you say "I had the MG flaps on our original model and they need holes drilling to accommodate the self tapping screws" - That is into the plastic wheel arch liners that are visible from the side profile of the car?? - They had to be very Short stubby Screws to miss the Metal work surely?

Fitted to mine and the screws will self drill into the plastic. I purchased stainless steel screws as the ones which come with the flaps will rust quite quickly. Advise previously on the forum.

Thanks guys

I have WD-40 White Lithium Spray - But will grab some wd-40 to 'lube' up prior to applying into the handle aperture :)

re the auto locking - no single clunk - but a defined uncomfortable ratchet griding uncomfortable noise - lasts less than a few seconds..

When you say "I had the MG flaps on our original model and they need holes drilling to accommodate the self tapping screws" - That is into the plastic wheel arch liners that are visible from the side profile of the car?? - They had to be very Short stubby Screws to miss the Metal work surely?
They where installed by the dealer, at the time of the PDI.
But I do believe if you drill through the plastic wheel arch, you will then enter into the metal work of the wheel arch as a result of this action unfortunately.

They where installed by the dealer, at the time of the PDI.
But I do believe if you drill through the plastic wheel arch, you will then enter into the metal work of the wheel arch as a result of this action unfortunately.
Hmm - I have a ponder on what could be the correct length screw to 'miss' the metal work ....

Hmm - I have a ponder on what could be the correct length screw to 'miss' the metal work ....
The wheel arch plastic is not that thick, I think even a short screw would bottom out before it bites onto the mud flap TBH.
The fronts must be the same I guess ?.
Once you drill through the plastic, you are then drilling into the metal of the wheel arch.
I wonder if you could fix them with some type of black seam sealer etc ?.
You would need to clamp them in place until the adhesive sets of course.
This would be more favourable over drilling into the metal bodywork.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom