Courtesy Car

davidr1986

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Having had my wife’s ZS EV recovered to MG on Saturday after the power steering failed, my local dealer has finally got round to looking at the car today(!)

Not yet been given a full appraisal of the extent if the problems but have been told that they have ordered in a new steering rack and are awaiting warranty departments authorisation to proceed with work.

I’ve been told that should ‘hopefully’ be early next week for the go-ahead.

Obviously, like most, the reason we have the car is because it’s needed, and the lady I spoke to at the dealership told me that she would look into courtesy car availability for me and get her manager to call me back to advise, but it may be that I need to contact my lease company for a replacement.

Am I right in thinking that the only place that should be providing the courtesy car would be MG/ the dealership?

Mine went in for a service and they offered me a hybrid but they wanted a deposit or something for it. In the end my wife dropped me off. I don't think they have to supply a car it's just a courtesy 😁

Mods👼... maybe this can be merged here...

Am I right in thinking that the only place that should be providing the courtesy car would be MG/ the dealership?

Unfortunately the dealer and/or MG isn't obligated to supply you with a courtesy car, as above, it's a courtesy, so they could call you back, tell you that they don't have one available, and that the part is on a 3 month delivery, sort out your own transport, and we'll call you when your car is ready. So fingers crossed they will give you one and the repair is prompt, as per the thread posted by Nutnut, you may have to fight for one.

It does seem a bit galling that a car company can provide you with a faulty good, which if you have to arrange your own transport, could leave you out of pocket.

I'm less sure about the lease company, but don't think they would entertain you, however it'll be detailed in the leasing arrangement if they will give you one.

I do understand it’s a courtesy, but your point regarding it being galling that they can sell a faulty product and then leave you short of a vehicle you’re paying for hits the nail on the head.

Fingers crossed that I’ll get fixed up with one, hopefully not end up in a fight to get one

Unfortunately the dealer and/or MG isn't obligated to supply you with a courtesy car, as above, it's a courtesy, so they could call you back, tell you that they don't have one available, and that the part is on a 3 month delivery, sort out your own transport, and we'll call you when your car is ready. So fingers crossed they will give you one and the repair is prompt, as per the thread posted by Nutnut, you may have to fight for one.

It does seem a bit galling that a car company can provide you with a faulty good, which if you have to arrange your own transport, could leave you out of pocket.

I'm less sure about the lease company, but don't think they would entertain you, however it'll be detailed in the leasing arrangement if they will give you one.

Mods👼... maybe this can be merged here...
As this is a personal story about an individual case I'm happy to keep the threads separate but thanks for posting the reference because that will be useful to read too (y)

I’ve had courtesy cars offered over the years ranging from ‘free’ at Skoda to ‘£20’ at Mercedes! At the Mercedes, I decided to take a walk first, then came back to finish my wait with a good book!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom