• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Creaking from the back.

Brodie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Picked up my new ZS yesterday, was very excited buying my first brand new car.
Love it, however within minutes of leaving dealership I noticed a creaking sound coming from the back. I thought I’d drive it a wee while, in the hope I was imagining it. I picked up the the Mrs 15 minutes later and within 50 yards of driving she’s asking worriedly‘What’s that?!’
I headed back to the dealer to point it out, seemed genuinely shocked and had no other returns. Has suggested I keep it for a couple of days and return Friday if still a problem. It is still a problem.
Every review I’d read or watched said the car was solid, no rattles etc. So I seem to be unlucky but my worry is noises can be the worst to fix, I’ll be gutted to have got it in time for Christmas to then be taken away. Has anyone had similar from the back, internal, Id say back seat kind of area. Parcel shelf already been looked at but it’s more a creaking than a rattle.
( I also noticed the HVAC wasn’t working but I got the answer in this forum, indicating it’s a missing fuse that is sometimes removed for transit, which I pointed out to the dealer, thanks for that 👍🏻😁)

Just to add, it was fine on the 70mph Bypass. It’s at lower speeds on typical city roads. If it’s not super smooth, you hear it.
Bit of a dampner after being like a big kid at Christmas 😕

No mine has been solid until now and after 12500 miles I’ve still no complaints other than my drivers door handle sometimes sticks; not a major problem and I will raise this when it goes in for its first service all the other handles are okay..other than this it’s been perfect!
Ah but hold on I tell a slight lie...after the comfort 2 update the auto high beam option to turn on or off isn’t working and again I will ask for this to be looked at but that’s more software than build. Coming from a Volvo XC90 I’m really happy with the build quality nothing for me to moan about, but perhaps I’m been lucky.

Mine from driving off the dealers lot had creaking issues from the front A pillars and where the dash meets the windscreen. I lived with it for a couple of weeks (and attempted to find a cure with acoustic tape) but ended up back at the dealer and they fixed the issue. Only rattles / creeks in the car now come from my sons car seat interacting with the pleather seats that I’ve 90% solved with applying felt tape to reduce abrasion. Hopefully your dealer can root out the cause of the noise and fix for you too

Just a suggest to eliminate a possible cause - polystyrene can make these noises - try moving the lower boot tray out and see if the noise goes?
Thanks, It’s worth a try, Think I might remove everything that can be removed, boot shelf, parcel shelf, headrests etc. At least rule them out.
Really want to keep it over Christmas, my Dad’s forever changing his cars. I’ve had my 12 year old Astra estate for 5 years. Looking forward to seeing his face when he turns up and sees it in the drive 😁

If you have the spare wheel kit, make sure it bolted down tight, rubber tyre on polystyrene is very noisy.

Mine from driving off the dealers lot had creaking issues from the front A pillars and where the dash meets the windscreen. I lived with it for a couple of weeks (and attempted to find a cure with acoustic tape) but ended up back at the dealer and they fixed the issue. Only rattles / creeks in the car now come from my sons car seat interacting with the pleather seats that I’ve 90% solved with applying felt tape to reduce abrasion. Hopefully your dealer can root out the cause of the noise and fix for you too
I have this creaking now, noticed it a few drives ago and I remember (I think!) you posting about this elsewhere. Do you have any details on what the dealer did? I might try it myself if it's not too complicated.

I’m not exactly sure how it was applied but it was silent (acoustic) felt tape applied to the rear of the a pillar coverings on either side to provide a cushioned gasket where plastic meets plastic (I’d already applied this to around the tweeter and where the tweeter plastic inset goes into the a pillar).

Then for the windscreen they removed the scuttle panel and applied some more silent tape to stop friction between the windscreen and the scuttle.

No mine has been solid until now and after 12500 miles I’ve still no complaints other than my drivers door handle sometimes sticks; not a major problem and I will raise this when it goes in for its first service all the other handles are okay..other than this it’s been perfect!
Ah but hold on I tell a slight lie...after the comfort 2 update the auto high beam option to turn on or off isn’t working and again I will ask for this to be looked at but that’s more software than build. Coming from a Volvo XC90 I’m really happy with the build quality nothing for me to moan about, but perhaps I’m been lucky.
A little bit of teflon spray is the solution

I’ve never understood why manufacturers fix their plastic panels with the edges butting up direct on to the metal car body with no gap or intermediate tape. My old RX450 had all manner of creaks especially when it’s cold. Just look at the plastic cover on the inside of the tailgate.

I’m not exactly sure how it was applied but it was silent (acoustic) felt tape applied to the rear of the a pillar coverings on either side to provide a cushioned gasket where plastic meets plastic (I’d already applied this to around the tweeter and where the tweeter plastic inset goes into the a pillar).

Then for the windscreen they removed the scuttle panel and applied some more silent tape to stop friction between the windscreen and the scuttle.

Thanks. Are the A-pillars easy enough to get off? I might have a go at this. Also, can you link to the type of tape used? Many thanks.

Thanks. Are the A-pillars easy enough to get off? I might have a go at this. Also, can you link to the type of tape used? Many thanks.
This video from Tom's Man Shed on Youtube shows the removal and re-fitting of the A-pillar between 19:00 and 28:00. I think you can do it without removing the rubber seal if you're not removing the lower trim as he did.
Dash cam fitting MG ZS EV

This video from Tom's Man Shed on Youtube shows the removal and re-fitting of the A-pillar between 19:00 and 28:00. I think you can do it without removing the rubber seal if you're not removing the lower trim as he did.
Dash cam fitting MG ZS EV

Thanks for that - it doesn;t look like the easy pop-off job I was hoping for! I might try and just stuff something down between the pillar and dash where the two meet, I think that's where the rattling is coming from.

Did my A Pillar trims a couple of weeks ago , there is only one trim clip that holds it on in the middle but there is a small plastic strap at the top (which I guess is to stop the trim flying off if air bags are deployed) it is a bit fiddly to slide out , I used pin nose pliers . I stuck 10 mm adhesive draught excluder foam along front edge and at the bottom , rattle from the A pillars has now gone completely. 🙂

I stuck 10 mm adhesive draught excluder foam along front edge and at the bottom , rattle from the A pillars has now gone completely. 🙂

Good tip that, I wouldn't have thought of draught excluder. Did you stick it on the inside of the A pillar or the outside where it meets the black dash?

Thanks, It’s worth a try, Think I might remove everything that can be removed, boot shelf, parcel shelf, headrests etc. At least rule them out.
Really want to keep it over Christmas, my Dad’s forever changing his cars. I’ve had my 12 year old Astra estate for 5 years. Looking forward to seeing his face when he turns up and sees it in the drive 😁
Did you make any progress?
This discussion moved on to creaks from pillars...

Good tip that, I wouldn't have thought of draught excluder. Did you stick it on the inside of the A pillar or the outside where it meets the black dash?
I stuck it to the inside front edge of the plastic trim and the edge of the dash that the A Pillar trim slots into , the door seal rubber holds the back edge of the trim . Don't use a dense foam draught excluder as it may make it more difficult to slot back in the dash , but it worked for me 🙂

Mine is going in at the end of the month for a sunroof knock and rattling A-pillars.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom