Cruise control 1 mph increment/decrement

syrup1971

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi All,

New MG5LR owner here. Moved over from e-golf.

I do like to use the cruise control, especially as a significant portion of my travel is often in 50 zones with average speed cameras.

I can't seem to find a way to increment or decrement the set speed by 1mph. Moving the stalk up and down goe to the nearest 5mph 45->50->55 etc. Am I missing something? Obviously you can set it at any speed, but I do like to be able to tune .

Thanks

Mine does 1 mph increments too. Perhaps you are holding it too long. Just a flick up or down. Barring that it must be an adjustable setting somewhere.

Oddly you have to hold it up or down longer to go in 1 mph increments.

Likewise, SR and the stalk changes by 1mph increments.

On my LR, short tap does 5mph increments, slightly longer tap does 1mph increments but judging it can be tricky.

It's not really intuitive but I'm not too fussed as I'm normally going to set it at an increment of 5 anyway.

I think this is the kind of area where some user testing/development is being cut out to keep costs down. Some of the software and controls simply don't have the affordance that you find with European brands. It's not a huge problem but I think it may restrict appeal somewhat.

I'd love to see a small 6 button panel where you can manually select 20/30/40/50/60/70mph.

Not sure what the problem is here. When you press the set button it sets at whatever speed you are doing. I have never seen a speed limit on a public road that isn't a round number. Flick lever to set limit to 50 and you are doing real 48/49 so safe from cameras.
Not sure why I would need to set to a speed that doesn't end in a 5 or 0, although I guess there must be a reason somewhere.

Setting 50 when the car in front is doing 49 might cause you a problem ;)
If you are going to set it by what the car in front is doing then you will be constantly changing. Probably easier to use the pedals on the floor to adjust speed :)
The LR and ZS have ACC, so set it to anything you want even if the car in front is doing 49. :)

If you are going to set it by what the car in front is doing then you will be constantly changing. Probably easier to use the pedals on the floor to adjust speed :)
The LR and ZS have ACC, so set it to anything you want even if the car in front is doing 49. :)
... and that probably explains the difference.
In my old car with cruise, I would be constantly tweak up or down based on the surrounding traffic.
Now I have ACC on the 5LR, I don't have to do that, so the 5MPH jumps make more sense. I thought it a bit weird at first, but I've not needed to do any adjustments other than quickly flicking from 60 to 50 in variable speed limit zones.

Had one on a test drive this week, wondered why it went from 5mph increments to 1 mph increments when I was fiddling with it. now I know LOL

Thanks all I have tested and can confirm a long hold does 1mph increments. Frankly it's crazy. I quick dab should go up or down 1mph, holding count in 5's.

As to the question of why you want to set at 1mph increments, I often want to set at 56mph, or 67mph. And given that the Speedos are not calibrated typically setting at 52mph, 73mph for example will actually set you at the correct limit

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom