Cruise control - not smooth

LizzieM

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello everyone,

New MG ZS EV Exclusive owner here in #Teamwhite - had it since the 31st July and went away on holiday 2 days later so only really been driving it for the past week or so. I had the windows tinted before I picked it up as I didn't like the clear windows! I have come out of a Mercedes SLK which I drove for 3 years so I expect it all to be a bit different but...

My query is about the Cruise control/MG Pilot, I have figured out how to work it thanks to You Tube videos rather than the instruction manual.
Driving to work very early this morning down a dual carriageway and engaged the Pilot, the car felt, what I can only describe as "lumpy", the right hand needle was going up and down in the efficiency section and it was an uncomfortable ride, so much so that I turned it off and just drove it instead, nice and smooth. The only thing of note was that I was on a slight incline at the times when it happened.

Great forum by the way, I have discovered much on my searches so far.

Hello. You will find that ACC and MG pilot are smoother if you select eco mode.

I don’t know then. It’s not the greatest system but I find that it works ok. It will accelerate quite briskly to stay at speed (for example up a hill or if the path ahead clears) and is also impacted by setting the gap between you and the car in front which I usually have on 3 for any run at a reasonable speed. 🙁

If you were in traffic it tries to keep a safe distance from car in front and changes speed to match car in front. Also it detects cars changing lane poorly. For instance you may get a car undertake you in another lane which is interpreted as about to move into your lane, this forces your car to slow down. You will also find that it cant keep to a high speed set on cruise when climbing a steep hill, this means if auto pilot has to slow to maintain distance from car in front it does not have the power to quickly accelerate back to set speed. Your SLK is like chalk and cheese to the ZS but as a city car it’s nippy and fun. PS eco amplifies this as tries to use less power.

I’ve never had a situation where my ZS has struggled to maintain a set speed - even up steep hills and at 70mph on the motorway - it doesn’t struggle to get there. You can watch the battery charge go down though!

I have tried to use cruise control and agree that it is inconsistent. The reason has been explained already in that it matches the speed of the car in front and tries to anticipate that if other overtaking cars cut in. If you use MG pilot in traffic, the degree if braking is very fierce. You also do not get any KERS using cruise control with the ZSEV although I believe you do on the MG5.
Never had any problem in keeping up to motorway speeds even in ECO mode.
In sports mode particularly, the acceleration from standstill is so good that the back end can be a bit twitchy. A heavy right foot can also cause wheel spin in any mode. Enjoy the car. We do and have just made the decision to go down to one car. The Merc was the one we chose to sell.

Yes because ACC is part of the suite and is being used in conjunction with lane keeling and AEB and TJA. Turn MG pilot off and ACC operates under different parameters

I think the ACC/MG Pilot is OK and I use it where I can. Perhaps @LizzieM, your radar/camera have been obscured by debris? Dunno, just guessing really after all that's been posted already. One thing I don't like about the system is how much it slows in corners - it seems to slow a lot for what I would call gentle corners, meaning I tend to override it with my right foot!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom