Cruise Control v Adaptive Cruise Control

emmrecs

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Warning: Newb Question!

I did a search on this but failed to find any posts which explain how to resolve this seeming "problem", so my apologies if it is covered elsewhere in the forum. Just point me to the appropriate thread!!!

As received, new, last Friday (March 25th), when trying to access Cruise Control my car goes straight to Adaptive Cruise Control and I can find no method to access the "non-adaptive" CC. I can see the reasons for using ACC in certain specific circumstances but would prefer, for the majority of the time, to use the simpler version. I've read the sections in the manual (from p.182 onwards) which explain the various settings and how to activate/deactivate them but not how to switch from one "type" to the other.

All thoughts/ideas very gratefully received! (I did contact my dealer but am waiting for a reply.)

I think you pull the cc control to you one click then set desire speed for cruise control then pull leaver to you twice again to get adaptive control hope that helps you emmrecs

I think you pull the cc control to you one click then set desire speed for cruise control then pull leaver to you twice again to get adaptive control hope that helps you emmrecs

Hi.

Thanks for this. However, what I want to do is really the reverse of what you suggest; I need to know how to disable ACC. My car defaults to it when selecting Cruise Control and I haven't, yet, found a way to enable the non-Adaptive version.

I'd be interested to find this out too. I've not really experimented with it and I am a few thousand miles away from my car atm, but doesn't pushing it away turn off ACC (and CC presumably, if it really a separate entity) so if the above process works to set CC without ACC you can just do it again?

I don't think the MG5LR supports non-adaptive cruise control.

As far as I can tell (over past 6 months and 3.5k miles), the stalk has two fixed position. It can either be towards the front of the car (ACC off) or pulled towards the driver (ACC on).

Even when ACC is on, it can be inactive (when the brake peddle pressed or stalk partially pressed towards front of car) or active (when initially moved to the On position or when the blue button pressed or when pulled back towards driver to resume). Twisting sets ACC distance. Up/Down adjusts speed.

Some people don't like ACC and would rather have plain old CC - but as far as I know, this isn't supported.

I don't think the MG5LR supports non-adaptive cruise control.

As far as I can tell (over past 6 months and 3.5k miles), the stalk has two fixed position. It can either be towards the front of the car (ACC off) or pulled towards the driver (ACC on).

Even when ACC is on, it can be inactive (when the brake peddle pressed or stalk partially pressed towards front of car) or active (when initially moved to the On position or when the blue button pressed or when pulled back towards driver to resume). Twisting sets ACC distance. Up/Down adjusts speed.

Some people don't like ACC and would rather have plain old CC - but as far as I know, this isn't supported.
Hi @biffo
I think you are right!

Just because in many circumstances it isn't.
I agree! There are situations when plain, old, simple CC is all that is needed! Not least because my experience of ACC, so far, has been that its "braking" can be rather harsh and rather late (as others have commented). Fundamentally, I very much like the concept but perhaps not so much its actuality.

Oh I absolutely believe in it, but your key words are right there though - on the motorway (or any other non urban road).

I have always been an avid user of CC around town too and have spent mucho time trying to get the hang of the ACC around town, and got pretty good at predicting it and managing it, but I've documented elsewhere here that I've more or less given up as on the few occasions it still catches me out I often think my driving is actually smoother (and possibly safer).

Like approaching a parked car on your carriageway which you will be able to comfortably go round, and it suddenly brakes, rather harshly. Or coming off a roundabout it suddenly accelerates. Or approaching a vehicle waiting in the middle of the road to turn right when you have space to go up the inside and it brakes hard.

Oh I absolutely believe in it, but your key words are right there though - on the motorway (or any other non urban road).

I have always been an avid user of CC around town too and have spent mucho time trying to get the hang of the ACC around town, and got pretty good at predicting it and managing it, but I've documented elsewhere here that I've more or less given up as on the few occasions it still catches me out I often think my driving is actually smoother (and possibly safer).

Like approaching a parked car on your carriageway which you will be able to comfortably go round, and it suddenly brakes, rather harshly. Or coming off a roundabout it suddenly accelerates. Or approaching a vehicle waiting in the middle of the road to turn right when you have space to go up the inside and it brakes hard.
Yeah I never used cruise control unless I’m, you know, cruisin’ 🙂

just use it like CC and brake earlier than the car would have. easy peasy. :)

In my previous car I barely used the brakes around town. Just managed with turning cruise control off and on, and regen braking (and good anticipation of course).

I've driven other cars with ACC and my opinion is that it can be darned dangerous.
Driving at speed on a dual carriageway, 2 cars in front a guy pulls left to leave and brakes hard in the feeder lane. My ACC picks it up as a potential crash and slams the brakes on even though he's not even in the same lane. I've had that happen more than once and know others have too.

My advice would be to use the speed limiter instead of cruise around town, that way you have a lot more control without worrying about breaking the speed limit.

The speed limiter really is a waste of time around town down my way. First you have to remember to put it on each time and that's a bit of a faff. Then it is fine while you are going down one road but when you turn the comer or go round a roundabout it cuts out till it find the next speed limit sign, which can be ages away.

I mostly can manage to keep within (actually on) the speed limit without any aids but am missing being able to drive more or less completely around town on CC and regen braking

You can turn off adaptive speed limit and set it manually.

In my current vehicle I have it set to 20 most of the time due to our local roads all being 20 now. A quick flick of the control moves it in 5mph increments so it takes a second to change. 40 or above I flick to the cruise control.

Forgot to say my current vehicle won't allow the cruise to be set at less than 28mph.

Warning: Newb Question!

I did a search on this but failed to find any posts which explain how to resolve this seeming "problem", so my apologies if it is covered elsewhere in the forum. Just point me to the appropriate thread!!!

As received, new, last Friday (March 25th), when trying to access Cruise Control my car goes straight to Adaptive Cruise Control and I can find no method to access the "non-adaptive" CC. I can see the reasons for using ACC in certain specific circumstances but would prefer, for the majority of the time, to use the simpler version. I've read the sections in the manual (from p.182 onwards) which explain the various settings and how to activate/deactivate them but not how to switch from one "type" to the other.

All thoughts/ideas very gratefully received! (I did contact my dealer but am waiting for a reply.)
Mg5 doesn't have cruise control only ACC.

Last edited by a moderator:
The speed limiter really is a waste of time around town down my way. First you have to remember to put it on each time and that's a bit of a faff. Then it is fine while you are going down one road but when you turn the comer or go round a roundabout it cuts out till it find the next speed limit sign, which can be ages away.

I mostly can manage to keep within (actually on) the speed limit without any aids but am missing being able to drive more or less completely around town on CC and regen braking
Adjust the speed limiter to manual, not automatic. This will then not "look " for road, speed limit, signs but will not let you go above your set limit.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom