DAB RADIO

Freddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have the LR and very happy with it too, apart from the Dab radio.
FM stations are perfect but the dab is not, it keeps losing signal so often it is pointless using it,
but the stations my wife likes are only on DAB. Pretty sure its not a poor reception area as the ZS does the exact
same journeys and the DAB is fine. Does anyone else find this or is it a trip to the dealers?

Dab does like a nice signal where as FM will just crackle a bit. Funny the ZS is ok. Is there anywhere that it works fine like at the dealers to compare with another one?

Hi
I have the LR and very happy with it too, apart from the Dab radio.
FM stations are perfect but the dab is not, it keeps losing signal so often it is pointless using it,
but the stations my wife likes are only on DAB. Pretty sure its not a poor reception area as the ZS does the exact
same journeys and the DAB is fine. Does anyone else find this or is it a trip to the dealers?
Our 5LR is generally on DAB and it's fine for us. (North West area)

Have you installed a dahscam? the antenna is in the window I believe (a couple of the wires around the rear window are antenna, not demiister) and there have been reports of rear dashcams interfering with the DAB signal.

Yep I get poor reception too in areas I use another DAB equipped car without issue. It seems the threshold that which low signal means no reception is higher in my 5 than other DAB cars? No dash cam.

Dab does like a nice signal where as FM will just crackle a bit. Funny the ZS is ok. Is there anywhere that it works fine like at the dealers to compare with another one?
No, nowhere. As i said the ZS is perfect, I haven't tried it at dealers as its a bit of a trek.
Thought it maybe because the ZS has an ariel and the MG5 doesn't. Will take it there if MG5 owners
confirm their DAB is ok. If a lot of owners are having same problems I may look for an aftermarket ariel.

Dab stations have a national area coverage and a local coverage list.
Heart radio is an example of this. Try the national version and see if the signal is any better, just in case you drive out of range if the local signal.

I have found that if the DAB signal is marginal, the station drops out every time my foot is on the brake. So if I stop and engage the autohold, it remains off until I start moving. If I engage the handbrake, it come back on. I suspect the rear brake lights are causing interference

Our 5LR is generally on DAB and it's fine for us. (North West area)

Have you installed a dahscam? the antenna is in the window I believe (a couple of the wires around the rear window are antenna, not demiister) and there have been reports of rear dashcams interfering with the DAB signal.
Mmm, yes I have, I will look in to that. We have only had the car 2 or 3 weeks so not noticed if it was poor already, plus when I drive I'm an FM radio 2 listener.

Mmm, yes I have, I will look in to that. We have only had the car 2 or 3 weeks so not noticed if it was poor already, plus when I drive I'm an FM radio 2 listener.
just pull the plug out of the rear dashcam - from what I've seen, you'll know pretty much straight away if that what was causing it.

Apparently positioning it to one side instead of central reduces the problem somewhat, but that would play havoc with my OCD...

just pull the plug out of the rear dashcam - from what I've seen, you'll know pretty much straight away if that what was causing it.

Apparently positioning it to one side instead of central reduces the problem somewhat, but that would play havoc with my OCD...
Yes just did that and no difference unfortunately. Though I haven't ruled it out completely, as there is quite a bit of excess cable that I had to wind up and put in the rear hatch.

Dab stations have a national area coverage and a local coverage list.
Heart radio is an example of this. Try the national version and see if the signal is any better, just in case you drive out of range if the local signal.
Yes, I had already tried that also to effect.

I've been intending to post a similar question. The DAB radio in my 5 does randomly repeat maybe the last second or so of the transmission, as if it is in a marginal signal area, switching between multiplexers and playing catch-up with the data stream following the changeover

I'm in East Anglia if that has any bearing..

I've been intending to post a similar question. The DAB radio in my 5 does randomly repeat maybe the last second or so of the transmission, as if it is in a marginal signal area, switching between multiplexers and playing catch-up with the data stream following the changeover

I'm in East Anglia if that has any bearing..
I frequently get this issue on an aftermarket Kenwood DAB unit in my current car, so it's definitely not a unique issue to MG.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom