Dangerous lane keep assist behavior, list of bugs LR Trophy Oct 2022

Razergd

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So I received my LR trophy about 1.5 months ago. The car feels really different than the demo cars from late 2021 or early 2022. First of all the ACC does not use regen braking.
The lane keeps assist is really dangerous. It cannot hold the car in the middle of the lane and erratically swerves side to side.
Other irritating bugs,
Camera failures from time to time. When going to reverse the infotainment system intermittently won't go to the camera view. Car reporting failure of the SOS calling system from time to time. When the radio automatically switches to TA hitting the stop button won't do anything. When clicking the call button on the steering wheel the phone will go to contacts rather than recent calls.
The MG pilot intelligent speed limit settings reset when the car is turned off. When on call you cannot touch anything under the call banner.
The app constantly reports over temperature and charging port overheating.

For those who have the same model from late 21 or early 22. Can you please confirm whether you experience the same issues?

Fixed with new update released on 27th November version 1.1.8
Screenshot_20221204-213858.png

Last edited:
First of all the ACC does not use regen braking.

Camera failures from time to time.

Car reporting failure of the SOS calling system from time to time.
The Gen 1 model did not use regen braking when in MG Pilot mode either and this was not corrected on the Gen 2 model either.
Friction brakes used instead.

Front camera did not like strong early morning sun light on the Gen 1 either.

Reporting of charging port overheating, has only become an issue for android users since the last update and is being worked on.
It is a false warning, as the car is perfectly fine !.

I have seen the SOS warning appear on a few occasions, but it resolves itself very quickly.

Some owners have complained that the max regen strength on the Gen 2 model is much weaker than the Gen 1 model.

I switched off LKA in the settings as I found myself fighting against it in potentially dangerous situations. It still comes on with a double pull of the ACC lever when I want it. It works quite well on the motorway and in stop start traffic but it is an assist, not autopilot, so it can pinball between the lines if you let it.
I have switched off the auto high beam as well. It was slightly foggy the other night and it just wouldn't dip until everyone had been blinded.

I think a lot of "computers on wheels" have these intermittent glitches. I had the same with the Ioniq and the Kona occasionally.

In my opinion, the MG Pilot is a little more sophisticated than the Hyunai SCC.

Personally, I think LKA is potentially dangerous, but also contrary to my driver training, vis-a-vis adjusting position within the lane to get furthest visibility. It's not something I would even consider using.
The lane keeping feature in the menu works much like the one i had in my previous car, a Vauxhall Astra.

If you do not steer it just "bounces off of the lane marker" and does not center the car. It is clearly only made to help you, not drift into the oncoming lane, not to keep the car centred.

I would describe it a bit like if you have gutter guards on a bowling lane and throw a ball that hits the guards, it will then bounce from one side to the other.

The MG Pilot on the other hand, does a decent job most of the time of keeping the car centered.

LKA is not MG pilot, if you want to use MG pilot to centre you in the lane you need to double pull the ACC stalk to activate it, when active there will be two vehicles shown next to the LKA icon. Took me a while to find this out, couldn't find it in the manual.
You taking about traffic jam assist?

Now I'm totally confused. My car has only emergency lane keep assist! I think the original spec had lane keep assist...

Attachments

• 16702638669581039336496483127103.jpg
    16702638669581039336496483127103.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 80
The spec of the car suggests that it have lane keep assist. In the description it suggests that lane keep assist keeps the car in the middle of the lane. My car has a different feature called 'emergency lane keeping system' this system will not do what described in the car spec. Can you please take a picture of the options you have in assist mode? Also, when your car arrived?

The spec of the car suggests that it have lane keep assist. In the description it suggests that lane keep assist keeps the car in the middle of the lane. My car has a different feature called 'emergency lane keeping system' this system will not do what described in the car spec. Can you please take a picture of the options you have in assist mode? Also, when your car arrived?

The lane keep assist is activated when you pull the cruise control twice.

Emergency lane keep is what you've been using. It's always on when enabled. I've turned it off.

I thought that when you pull the cruise control twice is the traffic jam assist which is a different feature

This is a great thread. Mk 1 we had lane keep assist and had it on high alert. This kept us perfectly centred in the lane. Mk 2 we have it set to emergency lane keeping system and high (also tried low) and it is honestly suicidal and jerky.

Going to go out for a drive now with some of the tips and see which works best. We have been impressed by everything with the mk 2 aside from lane keep as loved that feature to take the stress out of motorway

This is a great thread. Mk 1 we had lane keep assist and had it on high alert. This kept us perfectly centred in the lane. Mk 2 we have it set to emergency lane keeping system and high (also tried low) and it is honestly suicidal and jerky.

Going to go out for a drive now with some of the tips and see which works best. We have been impressed by everything with the mk 2 aside from lane keep as loved that feature to take the stress out of motorway
Keep the sensitivity low for LKA and double click the stalk and you'll see the difference. To cancel it for town and country roads you'll need to fully switch off ACC.

Personally, I think LKA is potentially dangerous, but also contrary to my driver training, vis-a-vis adjusting position within the lane to get furthest visibility. It's not something I would even consider using.
When it comes to the point that I am relying on LKA to keep me in the right lane on
a motorway, then I may strongly consider offering up my driving licence to be honest.
Too much reliance on these so called driving aids, is crazy !.
Automatic this and automatic that has made drivers a bit too complacent IMHO !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom