Dashboard Mount Locations

jhunterwu

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a place to mount stuff on the dashboard, like a bolt.

Any idea what's under this cap?

20220707_115312.jpg

I absolutely do not KNOW, but this was the location of the light sensor for the climate control on my previous car, so might be the same here.

Or could just be a cover for a bolt :)

I thought that was a direct sunlight sensor in most cars. Haven't checked on my ZS yet.

I thought that was a direct sunlight sensor in most cars. Haven't checked on my ZS yet.
My previous car had 2 light sensors

One that was embedded together with the rain sensor, it was for the auto-light feature, and would turn on the light when it got dark or if driving through a tunnel for example

And another one that measured the sunlight on the dash, this was to adjust the climate control, as there was a lot more cooling needed if the sun was baking the dashboard.

The climate control one, was a half-orb, not flat like the one in the picture though

Cover it up, with the car in ready mode and see if the headlights come on.
From the manual (auto headlights):
Note: This function is realized by fitting a sensor
capable of monitoring exterior lighting conditions
in real time on your vehicle. The sensor is fitted in
the centre of the fascia panel near the windscreen
in some models. DO NOT mask or cover this area,
or headlamps may automatically go on when not

necessary.

It doesn't look like a sensor. It looks like a plastic cap. I bet the sensors are behind the mirror, not? What else is this big black box behind the mirror?

Sunlight sensor is also in there, right?
To be honest with you I don't actually know what sensors are in there, from memory there is 3 but I may be wrong as don't spend much time looking at the car from the outside unless I'm cleaning it, and that is less often than I probably should with it being white haha

The gen 1 wouldn't have a sunlight sensor as it's not got Auto climate.

Rain sensor behind the mirror
I would have thought that as well, but if it is there, it is not like the one on the last 2 cars i owned, i am not able to see the rain sensor.

But the car has a rain sensor, and it does work, adjusting the speed and frequency according to how much rain there is.

I was actually thinking the rain sensor in the Mk2 was part of the camera, or the camera itself had this function built in, where it "sees" through the windscreen and can see how much rain is on there.

On previous cars there was some small "blob" where the black on the windscreen was not black

It's empty space inside and no bolt;)

I removed the cap.

Might try to use some mechanical expansion to get a bolt in there, but not sure what it's called

Mine has the sensor in that location.
Yeah i agree, i just returned from a vacation and when i drove the car i suddenly looked at that spot, and mine also has the half-dome sensor, for the light. If it is the same as in my previous car, it is for the climate control, to know how much sunlight is hitting the dash to compensate the cooling.

Yeah i agree, i just returned from a vacation and when i drove the car i suddenly looked at that spot, and mine also has the half-dome sensor, for the light. If it is the same as in my previous car, it is for the climate control, to know how much sunlight is hitting the dash to compensate the cooling.
Aren't these just ambient light sensors for the auto lights? Have had these little suckers present on cars that don't have auto climate control.

The auto climate control is done via internal temperature sensors to denote how strong the fan needs to blow.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom