Dashcam recommendations?

alekssir

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,

Do you have any dashcam recommendation for ZS EV Mk2, one that can be used on the USB provided next to the mirror (some of the Amazon dashcams mention it is recommended to be powered by the 12V adapter provided, not the USB's)

Something sensible, up to 50-70 quid...

I have the Nextbase 522GW with the rear camera accessory. works fine off the mirror USB although it's not powered when the car is shut down. Not in your price bracket but you get what you pay for. It's a lot cheaper than your insurance excess.

Hi all,

Do you have any dashcam recommendation for ZS EV Mk2, one that can be used on the USB provided next to the mirror (some of the Amazon dashcams mention it is recommended to be powered by the 12V adapter provided, not the USB's)

Something sensible, up to 50-70 quid...
If you type in dashcam into the search function (top right) you will get lots of info and suggestions.

I have a Viofo A129 Plus Duo which works well for me. Again, a little above your price range, but I really wouldn't recommend a 50 quid dashcam.

And to reiterate, you are not going to get parking monitoring with the USB port on the mirror, the camera will turn off when the car is turned off.

Used to use a yicamera dash cam but it didn't have a back camera so recently switched over to this which also has a GPS module for speed and a second camera. First month impressions its pretty good. Would recommend it, its got a good field of view and GPS for speed is really precise and does show on the video footage. Prime day is approaching so might get cheaper.

Amazon link:
Dash Cam Front and Rear 4K & 1080P 【Built with WIFI & GPS】Dual dash Cam (Single Front 4K), Car Camera 3 Inch Touch Screen Dash Camera, Driving Recorder with Night Vision, 24H Parking Monitor https://amzn.eu/d/0Nfh5Gk

I use HikAuto C8, which is in your price range. It has 4K front camera and FHD back camera. Full resolution can be recorded on both cameras. Colour at night vision looks reasonable good. USB port next to rear view mirror can be used as power supply when engine is on.
Problem: It may not be compatible with old phones. Only 3 devices work out from 5 devices: 2 Samsung, 2 Huawei and IPAD. WiFi hot-spot can not be found from 2 old devices: Huawei Mate10pro (6year old) and Samsung S3. Dashcam must be activated before use. I used my 9 year old ipad mini for activation. App: HikDashcam
IMG_20230703_065030_edit_1382378611670315.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought yesterday and fitted a NextBase 122, 89 euro non of the fancy stuff with it, just a bump 'G' sensor that will record off the internal battery if car is bumped. Works off the mirror USB connection and a choice of mounting with sucker mount or 3m tape mount. Trying out the sucker mount first. Camera attaches with a very strong magnet to mount so you can remove it to download videos to PC.

I use HikAuto C8, which is in your price range. It has 4K front camera and FHD back camera. Full resolution can be recorded on both cameras. Colour at night vision looks reasonable good. USB port next to rear view mirror can be used as power supply when engine is on.
Problem: It may not be compatible with old phones. Only 3 devices work out from 5 devices: 2 Samsung, 2 Huawei and IPAD. WiFi hot-spot can not be found from 2 old devices: Huawei Mate10pro (6year old) and Samsung S3. Dashcam must be activated before use. I used my 9 year old ipad mini for activation. App: HikDashcam
View attachment 18701
Pls could you indicate where you bought the HIKAuto c8 dashcam

Pls could you indicate where you bought the HIKAuto c8 dashcam
I got mine as gift. I found the Product available here

and here

You can search for hikvision c8 4k dashcam on AliExpress.

I have not install rear camera yet for avoiding losing warrenty with my shinny new car.

I just bought yesterday and fitted a NextBase 122, 89 euro non of the fancy stuff with it, just a bump 'G' sensor that will record off the internal battery if car is bumped. Works off the mirror USB connection and a choice of mounting with sucker mount or 3m tape mount. Trying out the sucker mount first. Camera attaches with a very strong magnet to mount so you can remove it to download videos to PC.
Did you buy a smaller cable to connect the camera to the mirror ?

I got mine as gift. I found the Product available here

and here

You can search for hikvision c8 4k dashcam on AliExpress.

I have not install rear camera yet for avoiding losing warrenty with my shinny new car.
Thank you

More than the OP wants to pay but I've just bought the Road Angel Halo front and rear camera for £217 including fitting from Halfords. That includes various discounts including the Motoring Club Premium 5% off and the fitting kit was free when I added it (no idea why but I'll take it!).

I figured for a fully functional front and rear camera that has excellent reviews I couldn't really go wrong for that price. I also like the fact there's no screen on the back of the front camera which I find completely pointless and would be distracting for me.

I'm having it fitted next week so I'll let you know what it's like.

Did you buy a smaller cable to connect the camera to the mirror ?

Thank you
Yes. I used 30cm spare charging cable from other device.

I have Hikauto C8 dashcam. I also have Ezvis DB2 doorbell camera from Argos and Hikvision Colorvu security cameras. They are all 4K cameras with AI from Hikvision companies.

Last edited:
More than the OP wants to pay but I've just bought the Road Angel Halo front and rear camera for £217 including fitting from Halfords. That includes various discounts including the Motoring Club Premium 5% off and the fitting kit was free when I added it (no idea why but I'll take it!).

I figured for a fully functional front and rear camera that has excellent reviews I couldn't really go wrong for that price. I also like the fact there's no screen on the back of the front camera which I find completely pointless and would be distracting for me.

I'm having it fitted next week so I'll let you know what it's like.
Just to update on this as promised.

Well today I went to Halfords to have the dash cam fitted. I was greeted by a dopey 20ish year old who really didn't want to be there. I handed over what I needed to and specifically told them it was an electric car. I then proceeded to push my 1 year old boy over a mile to my mother's house. As soon as I get there I get a phone call from Halfords "sorry we can't do you car as we can't fit dash cams to electric cars".

Brilliant.

So I booked on the website 2 weeks prior and there was no mention of them not doing electric cars. How hard would it be for them to have a drop down box for the fuel of your car then not allowing you to continue if you press electric?

I was fuming to be honest, planned my day off around this and completely wasted my time. The fact I got sent away from the store after I told them I had an electric car is taking the p*ss to be honest.

I have made a complaint via customer service and I'll see what comes of it.

🤬

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom