Dashcams - any successful installations or wise advice?

Hi all. Late to the party, but I have a pre-FL 5LR. I fitted a Viofo front and rear dashcam and that has no impact on the LKA / ACC functions for me.

The rear camera does affect DAB reception though, and I've seen other posts suggesting that's the same for others. It's not that it's stuck across the arial in the window either. If I unplug the rear camera at the front, then the signal is fine. it's not completely off, but the station we tend to listen to does keep dropping back to FM.

Hi all. Late to the party, but I have a pre-FL 5LR. I fitted a Viofo front and rear dashcam and that has no impact on the LKA / ACC functions for me.

The rear camera does affect DAB reception though, and I've seen other posts suggesting that's the same for others. It's not that it's stuck across the arial in the window either. If I unplug the rear camera at the front, then the signal is fine. it's not completely off, but the station we tend to listen to does keep dropping back to FM.
I've read that be common, it can be helped by shielding the cable, to test if it's the camera of the cable you can try wrapping some foil around the power cable to the camera near the arial if that doesn't help try wrapping the camera. If it's the cable you could try replacing the power cable with a shielded version or some magnet noise suppressors, they clip over the cable. Or reroute the cable to see if it helps.
I have the same model I'll have to check it out when I fit one, so thanks for the warning.

I fitted a Viofo front and rear in mine, bit of a faff getting the cable through to the tailgate but most cars are. Lighter socket fuse for the switched and the car seat fuse for the continuous as neither of these are monitored by the ECU. Remove the trim under the Steering wheel to get good access to the fuse box

It's not entirely bo***cks about the lane keeping but you would have to be pretty stupid to put the camera in so that it compromised it. The shroud around the base ot the mirror contains the camera system so if make sure the DCam is well up to the top of the screen one side or other there is no problem. Just don't put it up too high or the DCam will be looking at the black/dotted edging.

I put mine on the passenger side to ensure I would fall foul of the rules about obstructing the drivers view
So I started my attempt at a Viofo install today, front camera & fuse install was fine, camera seems to work ok, have 2 wires to fuse 1 for the accessory wire (yellow) and use 37 (drivers seat motor) for the red wire but getting the wire to the rear is OMG, I've ordered some fish cable puller rods to try your method of going through the headlining, I did look at the door linings but yea full of air bags, one quick question Hariyfool where did you run the rods from? I'm guess you went from the rear to the front, I see in another thread you say from the boot to the rear door then the drivers door then the courtesy light, is that right? the rear roof lining has a huge dip I'm not sure how you got through that and when you say to the rear door , do you mean above the airbag? I've looked in some may threads & YouTube video's today but no clear MG5's pics of the routing. Most seem to run the rear wire in front of the airbags.
Appreciate any help/advice,

I had a Nextbase front and rear fitted to my LR using the hardwired kit. I got it through Halfords.
Luckily, the fitter was a lovely fella and had fitted quite a few MG5's in recent months (Taxi drivers). He made a cracking clean job of it.
I can confirm it has not affected my CC, MG Pilot or even my DAB radio. All of them still work perfectly fine.

I've been considering fitting a dash cam to my Mk1 5LR. When I mentioned this at the service desk of the MG dealer they advised against it because they said it might interfere with the operation of the lane keep & CC functions in the mirror mount. I think they implied some sort of radio interference.

1. Has anyone else been advised of this, or had interference problems caused by a dash cam?
2. If you have had a dash cam fitted and working successfully
  • what make did you go for
  • where did you mount it (left of the mirror mount at the top is in an unswept part of the windscreen)
  • what sort of installation did you go for (wired in or loose cables & 12v socket style)

Having just had to swerve rapidly to avoid someone cutting across in front of me from lane 3 to lane 2 on the M6 I'm even more disposed to try to get something installed!

Thanks.
Hi,
We put a camera in the front above the number plate and have 5inch monitor and use that for parking and is wired separately to the cig/ aux you can buy them with record on Amazon we installed it in Half an hour and does not interfere with the front lower sensor.

Would be good if someone could just find a way to send all the 360 degree built in camera feeds to one of the USB sockets so you could store any video on any USB connected storage. If you can send all the feeds to the central display then maybe you can route them to other parts of the CANBUS?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom