Data/Readings post BMS update.

peter

Standard Member
Reaction score
My car was purchased on October and so has always had the buggy BMS software last Friday 29th Jan I had the update.
I've been as frequently as possible dischaging battery to around 90% and then applying a full balancing charge - which takes around 7-8 hours all in.
I'm trying to be as scientific as I can be in recording data to understand what if any improvement is occuring.
I'm ignoring range counter as unreliable, however if/when I run a full jouney 100% to 0% I will record results.
Therefore I'm focusing on the votage after each charge. I understand a healthy battery would read 450v.

Here is what I have so far. Feels like moving in right direction, albiet very slowly, also rate of improvement seesm to be slowing.

Charge numberVoltage after charge
2Missed reading

I'd like to start recording how much kw/h it is taking in for each charge, which my Ohme app can tell me.
However I'm not sure how I can make this data useful. I would need to pro-rata for the battery capacity, i.e. If I get 16kw/h from 50% charge this implies my battery is currently capible of taking 32kw/h full capacity. However I think some of the kw/h are consumed in 'balancing' the battery rather than adding any actual range to car so don't know how to seperate this versus the batter capacity.
My ultimate goal is to be able to charge from 0 to 100% and see I've been able to add 42.5kw/h to battery - currently I think my battery can only take around 33 due to balancinjg issues.
Hope the above helps. I'll continue to add to this with more charges and if there is any other data which would be useful let me know and I'll try to start tracking.

Based on readings so far I am very worried the buggy software has created a permentant problem to battery capacity which looks like it may never come back. Any thoughts?

My car was purchased on October and so has always had the buggy BMS software last Friday 29th Jan I had the update.
I've been as frequently as possible dischaging battery to around 90% and then applying a full balancing charge - which takes around 7-8 hours all in.
I'm trying to be as scientific as I can be in recording data to understand what if any improvement is occuring.
I'm ignoring range counter as unreliable, however if/when I run a full jouney 100% to 0% I will record results.
Therefore I'm focusing on the votage after each charge. I understand a healthy battery would read 450v.

Here is what I have so far. Feels like moving in right direction, albiet very slowly, also rate of improvement seesm to be slowing.

2Missed reading

I'd like to start recording how much kw/h it is taking in for each charge, which my Ohme app can tell me.
However I'm not sure how I can make this data useful. I would need to pro-rata for the battery capacity, i.e. If I get 16kw/h from 50% charge this implies my battery is currently capible of taking 32kw/h full capacity. However I think some of the kw/h are consumed in 'balancing' the battery rather than adding any actual range to car so don't know how to seperate this versus the batter capacity.
My ultimate goal is to be able to charge from 0 to 100% and see I've been able to add 42.5kw/h to battery - currently I think my battery can only take around 33 due to balancinjg issues.
Hope the above helps. I'll continue to add to this with more charges and if there is any other data which would be useful let me know and I'll try to start tracking.

Based on readings so far I am very worried the buggy software has created a permentant problem to battery capacity which looks like it may never come back. Any thoughts?
Have you noticed any change in the mileage range after each of the chargers,before the update and now after 6 chargers.😒

Have you noticed any change in the mileage range after each of the chargers,before the update and now after 6 chargers.😒
I don't really trust the range counter so don't have any reliable results to share on this. My gut feel is the difference has been minimal if any. However I would need to wait for a long journey to really judge this properly.

2Missed reading

Great piece of work !.
I have noticed that when charging the car is pulling about 7.1kw from the wall box, but when it reaches about 98% SOC it throttles back the charge to about 3.6 kw.
At 100 % SOC it then drops the demand back to about 500Watts to carry out the balance cycle.
The charge / balance time was really length on my first home charge after the first update.
It had taken 11 hours to complete from a already high SOC of 92% !.
The second home charge / balance was a lot quicker from similar SOC of 91%.
That cycle time was about half of the last result.
I have charged / balanced about 4 times now and the pack voltage is roughly about the same every time.
It’s about 448 - 449 volts.
After the first charge / balance it displayed 450 volts very briefly and then dropped back to 449 volts.
Others who have had the BMS update ( released 15th Jan 2921 ) are seeing very similar voltages on their packs now.
I look forward to reading your results !.

I have been doing the same. Charge and balance every day (whether it needs it or not). I didn't start to chart the progress right away but below is the result after nearly 2 weeks of the process. I have realized that charting the GOM is probably useless. One can't trust the supposed range on the GOM since resetting the accumulated trip meter will give you suddenly a different number. Case in point: yesterday's reading after a full charge in normal mode showed 171 km. When I reset the trip today it jumped to 225 km.....and that was after my wife did the school run (10 km total).

I'm paying more attention to the volts and so far I haven't achieved more than 445 v. I'm not sure if that could be due to the temp or if the battery isn't fully balanced yet, but I'm going to continue out the end of this week.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 162
Got new BMS yesterday. Never had the buggy ones. When I got home and charged it up to 100% it was 159 miles and 439 v. I then allowed it to equalise once for 6 hours or so and got the same range but 450 v.

Got new BMS yesterday. Never had the buggy ones. When I got home and charged it up to 100% it was 159 miles and 439 v. I then allowed it to equalise once for 6 hours or so and got the same range but 450 v.
Will I be able to get up to 450v or is it unrealistic given the subzero temperatures here, I wonder...

What did your car charge up to before the new BMS you've just had, was it 455/6v ?

Another 6 hour balancing charge and still 441, seems to have stopped improving. All my recent charges have been only down to 90% then charge again. I wonder if it requires greater discharge before charging to help the process. I think the earlier ones when I saw small improvement were from a lowe SOC. Guess I'll see next time I need a longer journey.
I've also booked back into dealer on Monday to see why it's not coming back.

What did your car charge up to before the new BMS you've just had, was it 455/6v ?
Hi Chris, from memory it would have been 455v or higher yes because I never had the buggy BMS. But tbh I never paid much attention to that stat as the miles were decent. However, I think we have to remember that comfort 2 update really screwed up the GOM eg when I fully charged the car it was showing something like 190 m (granted it was in the spring / summer) but I don't think that was realistic. So to me this new BMS seems to match better the pre comfort 2 state and is more realistic. Happy to hear challenges to that though! 🙂

Will I be able to get up to 450v or is it unrealistic given the subzero temperatures here, I wonder...
It was 7 degrees c or so when I did my equalisation. Not sure it that makes a difference. What's your range showing as?

What's your range showing as?
Se attachment in reply #6. But like I stated, I'm not too confident that the GOM reports an accurate range, I'm more concerned about the voltage of the battery (to see if the cells are fully balanced). I've read posts on FB where some people have had their cars in the garage for a whole month for battery balancing. I have not seen any official statement that the voltage should be 455 or if that can be achieved at sub zero temperatures.

This roughly what other people are seeing.
The car will charge to 100% then the balancing process will begin.
The range you see at the end of charging cycle will stay the same even through the balancing process.
After everything has completed, when the car is fully booted with all items turned off, you should be seeing around 448 - 450 volts against the HV pack.
Or, this is what is commonly seen by other owners who have had the lasted BMS update.

Peter... I had the buggy BMS mid Novemebr and the fix done last week.. I too have been monitoring.... have gone from 437 to 441 immediately.. Now it seems to be adding on another volt each couple of charges...Am at 444v currently
In terms of range though..this has improved..with the buggy BMS it seemed to take 2 miles for every mile journey... It now seems to be accurate for mile taken against GOM range decline. Current range when full is 130 miles ... So overall although I am hoping for my volts at full charge to increase over the next week or so it has reduced my range anxiety because I know the car can now do about 130 miles

Peter... I had the buggy BMS mid Novemebr and the fix done last week.. I too have been monitoring.... have gone from 437 to 441 immediately.. Now it seems to be adding on another volt each couple of charges...Am at 444v currently
In terms of range though..this has improved..with the buggy BMS it seemed to take 2 miles for every mile journey... It now seems to be accurate for mile taken against GOM range decline. Current range when full is 130 miles ... So overall although I am hoping for my volts at full charge to increase over the next week or so it has reduced my range anxiety because I know the car can now do about 130 miles
Can I ask how many full charges and balancing processes you have performed and what type of chargers have you used to do your charging ?.
It is some rapid, some 7kw home charges, please tell !.

Lovemy....... I have charged it 6 times over the past two weeks ...half only needed a 15% top up..The other half required about a 50 % charge... Half of the charges were done at 2.5kW and the other half at full 7kW...I have to say neither power rating seemed to produce a better voltage level at full charge so am now just charging at 7kW eacj time... I rarely need o use rapid as my work pattern generally has a round trip of about 110 miles

Hi Chris, from memory it would have been 455v or higher yes because I never had the buggy BMS. But tbh I never paid much attention to that stat as the miles were decent. However, I think we have to remember that comfort 2 update really screwed up the GOM eg when I fully charged the car it was showing something like 190 m (granted it was in the spring / summer) but I don't think that was realistic. So to me this new BMS seems to match better the pre comfort 2 state and is more realistic. Happy to hear challenges to that though! 🙂
Silly question but where are u finding the voltage number on which display

Use the side arrows on the steering wheel, to go through the menus on the dash and one of them shows the voltage.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom