De-badging Your ZS EV - How Did You Do It?

Hey All

One of the first things I want to do when my car arrives is de-badge it. I think it should be fairly straightforward as there aren't many on the rear, but was wondering whether anyone here has already done so successfully? :unsure:

If you've already tackled this, I'd love to know:
  • Tools you used if any
  • Is it just adhesive to work around on MG's, or whether you encountered any screws &/or clips
  • Whether the paint was fairly robust and you were able to do this without any damage
  • Any problems you encountered
Thanks!

*I couldn't find an existing thread on this, but if there is one please feel free to merge/move the post.
How are you going to remove the mg badge that opens the tailgate??

How are you going to remove the mg badge that opens the tailgate??
It's only the stuck on ones that serve no purpose other than to be off-centre, that I want to remove.

Like the photos shared here, I just prefer a cleaner sharper look. Unfortunately MG don't do options, otherwise I'd have chosen no additional badges from the outset as well as a chrome delete.

It's only the stuck on ones that serve no purpose other than to be off-centre, that I want to remove.

Like the photos shared here, I just prefer a cleaner sharper look. Unfortunately MG don't do options, otherwise I'd have chosen no additional badges from the outset as well as a chrome delete.
I have seen somebody black wrap over the chrome VW on there Golf ??.
I guess IF somebody wanted to refit the old boot lid badges when they sell the car, it maybe a good idea to make a quick paper template before removing them ?????.

I have seen somebody black wrap over the chrome VW on there Golf ??.
I guess IF somebody wanted to refit the old boot lid badges when they sell the car, it maybe a good idea to make a quick paper template before removing them ?????.
Wraps may be a touch too much effort for me 😄. To be honest I'm not keen on them unless they're precise... The one done on the ZS EV grill is an example of something I'd never go for, but I can see why others like it. Only other upgrade I'll do right now will be a tint to the windows behind the B pillar.

I'm not worried about the old badges - it's never been a question on any car I've sold, and worst case someone can pick them up on Ebay.

Why, it's not a BMW or Mercedes.
Are there things we're only allowed to do on certain brands? If we're going with that mentality, then why do MG even bother with more than a basic chassis and wheels :rolleyes:

Hey All

One of the first things I want to do when my car arrives is de-badge it. I think it should be fairly straightforward as there aren't many on the rear, but was wondering whether anyone here has already done so successfully? :unsure:

If you've already tackled this, I'd love to know:
  • Tools you used if any
  • Is it just adhesive to work around on MG's, or whether you encountered any screws &/or clips
  • Whether the paint was fairly robust and you were able to do this without any damage
  • Any problems you encountered
Thanks!

*I couldn't find an existing thread on this, but if there is one please feel free to merge/move the post.
CREDIT CARD THEN WD40

I sort of de-badged my ZS.

I sprayed bug and tar remover on the boot and let it sit for a couple of minutes before coming back to scrub off the tar and the 'MG Pilot' badge fell off with a little coaxing. So all you need to de-badge is bug and tar remover and the double sided tape it's stuck down with will fail, causing your badge to fall off.

The longer the badge or trim has been on the car, then generally, the harder it will be to remove.
Anything that helps soften the glue on the adhesive tape will help.
Heat from a hair dryer can help.
The paint will be still fairly soft on a new car, so extra caution is needed.

I haven’t got my ZS yet, should be her in julember if there are no more delays…

i debadged my wife’s Audi q3 and after prising off the badges with a plastic scraper and heat gun I used an eraser wheel in my drill which took all residue off without the need to use solvents and it didn’t damage the paintwork either

Hi
Back in the day when I used to work for BMW de-badging was done to keep people guessing wether it was a 1.6 or 2.5 litre engine but a quick look at the exhaust would tell you what it was
But some people do it for a cleaner smoother look on the boot / tailgate
Each to their own I suppose
I have never had 1 car in the 54 I have had that I have kept standard most have been subtle mods but I have gone a bit further with a couple I just like my cars to be different to everyone else’s
I must admit it’s not cheap to be different sometimes 😂😂😂😂
Cheers
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Debadging was an option on bmw, I remember that there were big differences in how bmw de-badging worked.

In the uk it was mainly low spec cars that were debadged; In germany it was the high spec/big engine versions.

Debadging was an option on bmw, I remember that there were big differences in how bmw de-badging worked.

In the uk it was mainly low spec cars that were debadged; In germany it was the high spec/big engine versions.
I have a friend, he had the fastest version of his petrol car, he debadged it, and put badges on from the same car, with the least horsepower.

Mostly because the 2.5L V6 he actually drove attracted a lot of unwanted attention from thieves, compared to the 1.6L 4 cylinder at the bottom of the range.

But also, because he loved, baiting boy racers that thought they could take him in his 1.6, but was left i the dust when the light turned green. :)

Hands up anyone who swapped the letters around on a 1.6 Cortina to read 9.1
(n) Not me sorry !.
Switched out the 1.2 Litre motor for the larger 1.5 Litre motor into a MK1 Cortina I owned once.
Did the same with a Ford Anglia when charging out a 997cc lump to a 1.5 Litre also !.

(n) Not me sorry !.
Switched out the 1.2 Litre motor for the larger 1.5 Litre motor into a MK1 Cortina I owned once.
Did the same with a Ford Anglia when charging out a 997cc lump to a 1.5 Litre also !.
I swapped out the 850cc engine in my mini van for an 1100 unit. What a fine smooth running work vehicle.

I put a Riley 1.5 into an A35. Had to mount the radiator on the outside. Sprayed orange with matt black roof, bonnet and side flashes. Pop riveted wheel arch flanges, wheel spacers and original breaks pulling to the left.,,,,,,,,,, and no photos!!!!!!!!!

I swapped out the 850cc engine in my mini van for an 1100 unit. What a fine smooth running work vehicle.
Similar here !.
Bought a bog standard 850cc Classic Mini.
Went with a 1100cc engine first, but the 1100cc engine was a bit prone to blowing out the crank shafts when worked hard, so then bought a 1275cc unit and uprated to 1340cc Cooper S !.
All other items - brakes etc also uprated.
Wish I had that 66 Reg Mini now.
Good times !.
I had removed SO many engines from Classic Mini's over time, that in the workshop, removal of the engine and box ( on a ramp ) was down to about 30 mins.
Be more like 30 hours now :ROFLMAO:.

I put a Riley 1.5 into an A35. Had to mount the radiator on the outside. Sprayed orange with matt black roof, bonnet and side flashes. Pop riveted wheel arch flanges, wheel spacers and original breaks pulling to the left.,,,,,,,,,, and no photos!!!!!!!!!
Now that sounds like an interesting vehicular marriage. Shame about the lack of pictures. Love it - it’ll be terrific once you find an MG motor and battery kit to put into the Riley 😉..Now that would be rather nice 😀

I'm not sure if the person posting is talking about the little badges, or the big ugly MG on the bonnet, but id also like to get rid of the badges when my MG4 EV arrives. is that stuck on with pads too ? will that come off with a hair dryer ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom