Dead charger

Charlie1277

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all. I've had my MG5 for 15 months now and annoyingly my 13Amp 3pin charger that I've been using to charge at home has died. It's not the fuse, there is no power going into the charger. Annoyingly is was only covered under warranty for 12 months (which is utter madness). Has anyone had a problem like this? Does anyone know if they can be fixed? or does anyone had experience of buying a new one and what to look out for? The garage I got mine from is charging £350 for a new one, which I can't afford. Please help as I'm reluctant to give up on mine.

Thanks

Don't know if they are repairable . You say there's no power getting to it but the fuse is OK . Maybe the wires are broken in the mains lead , most commonly ate the base of the 13 amp plug end . Maybe cut off the 13 amp plug and fit a new one ( I'm assuming it's a sealed plug ) .
£350 for a new granny is a bit steep maybe this will do EV Extras 80 | Home EV Charger Type 2 | 5, 7, 10.5 & 15 metres

Hi all. I've had my MG5 for 15 months now and annoyingly my 13Amp 3pin charger that I've been using to charge at home has died. It's not the fuse, there is no power going into the charger. Annoyingly is was only covered under warranty for 12 months (which is utter madness). Has anyone had a problem like this? Does anyone know if they can be fixed? or does anyone had experience of buying a new one and what to look out for? The garage I got mine from is charging £350 for a new one, which I can't afford. Please help as I'm reluctant to give up on mine.

Thanks
@Charlie1277 There is one for sale on the forum !,

Last edited:
Don't know if they are repairable . You say there's no power getting to it but the fuse is OK . Maybe the wires are broken in the mains lead , most commonly ate the base of the 13 amp plug end . Maybe cut off the 13 amp plug and fit a new one ( I'm assuming it's a sealed plug ) .
£350 for a new granny is a bit steep maybe this will do EV Extras 80 | Home EV Charger Type 2 | 5, 7, 10.5 & 15 metres
Some granny EVSE units have a thermal sensor in the plug top so best not to cut it off.

Thanks
The warranty is something the supplier provides to appease its customers. Legally the item has to be fit for purchase, You could suggest as long as the car’s warranty.

The citizens advice should be able to help further.

The Sale of Goods Act states that goods delivered or sold must be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. Fit for purpose means that the goods will provide the benefit or meet the purpose advertised by the seller.

The charger will be IP rated (water proof) so do not open it to try and fix it yourself. As soon as you break the seal the ip rating is gone so any professional repair is going to be expensive. As rpannell says above, you can buy a new one for much less than the garage are asking. £140 on Amazon e.g.

Thanks
Under Consumer rights law 2015 electrical goods have up to 6 years of warranty. Even if the manufacturer says 12 months, they're not above consumer law. If it's reasonable to expect something to operate for more than 12 months then a claim can be made against the retailer. So a cheap kettle that cost £5 may not be expected to operate beyond 12 months but the £2000 oled TV would be expected to keep on running. TV's you can claim up to 6 years from date of purchase.
Contact the retailer and insist they repair or supply a new one under Consumer Rights Law 2015 and if they play nicely, small claims court.

Thanks
The plug of my 13A charger overheated & took out a [certified 13A] extension lead... It still wants to work & didn't trip in-line breaker or home fuse board!
I'm still within the warrantee period but have had my claim rejected by MG. Apparently the charger is a novelty item (I paraphrase!), they say:
  1. It is an emergency top up charger which can occasionally be used for a full charge (and equalisation charge).
  2. It should only be plugged into a direct power supply. It should not be plugged into a separate spur from the main supply or through using extension cable.
  3. It should not be continuously used.
None of which was explained to me on delivery or appears in the manual... Polite arguments have commenced!

Did it burn the Live pin and fuse holder area and melt to socket on the extension reel?
Can you add a few pictures please.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom