Dead MGHS in Italy

stuckinitaly

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi all. Rented this thing in Munich and drove to Italy. No real issues on the way here. Last night, parked and as far as both of us could tell, it was off. We have had it for 3 days and no real issues. It's never been plugged in since I had it. Didn't even know it was supposed to be. Seems like a non skart type of vehicle to rent to tourist and bus8ness people who don't have access to charges readily available but I digress.
Went to start today. Nothing. No display. No power to mirrors or hatch but fob unlocks it.
Got a boost from a guy with a booster pack. It started right up. Ran for aboht 5 minute and shut itself off. Got another boost and this time didn't start. Currently charging EV side but here in Italy booster cables aren't a thing. Lol. Called rental agency and they're on it. Not sure how long but I asked them to bring boost AND another 12v. I'm 7 hours away from a full charge as well. As far as I understand though, this will NOT charge the 12v so I'm stuck waiting for rental agency.
Currently I'm at like 5% and I can move it in electric mode but it will notnstart and gives me trouble for having a battery under 12v. That's it.

Edit. Now, the information center shows me that the 12v is above 12v but the ICE will not start. It fires up, says Service Immediatly but doesn't say why. Otherwise I have full electrical power and it will drive.

Anyone have any ideas?

When you move in electric that the car went in to ready this will charge the 12v recommended leave on for 30 minutes
Have you got the air conditioning set to low, if so after 5 minutes the engine will not start as it’s up to temperature. If you put the cabin temperature up to full heat the engine will start. If you drive over 30 mph the engine will start up.
You need to keep the HV battery up as this charge the 12v battery.

Last edited:
When you move in electric that will charge the 12v battery have you got the air conditioning set to low, if so after 5 minutes the engine will not start as it’s up to temperature. If you put the cabin temperature up to full the engine will start but as it doesn’t have a alternator to charge the 12v batter. If you drive over 30 mph the engine will start up.
You need to keep the HV battery up as this charge the 12v battery.
Thank you. I tried that and all the HVAC did was shut off.
The HV battery is almost fully charged though and I will try again. Thank you very much.

If you get a boost and get the car into ready leave on in ready for 30 minutes to charge the 12v batter.

What shut off when running?
engine or ready mode

if ready mode then need to charge the 12v in ready mode look at the 12v meter press right side dowen arrow unitil you see the 12v battery meter and in ready mode should be charging at 14v if not then there is a problem with voltage converter that steps down the high voltage to 12 v to charge the battery also make sure all 12v systems are off like light radio and fan.

Last edited:
As my last post all system must be off as they take power from the 12 v battery and it needs time to recover amperage and if any 12 v system are on that will drain the 12v battery. You may need a 12v charger to charge the batter.

As my last post all system must be off as they take power from the 12 v battery and it needs time to recover amperage and if any 12 v system are on that will drain the 12v battery. You may need a 12v charger to charge the batter.
Ok. Good to know. I will make sure all is off tonight and leave it to charge on 220 all night and try again the morning. Thank you so much for your help. This Canadian is in your debt. :)

Do not get confused between the high voltage and the 12v system
the 12v system can only charge by the high voltage side only in ready not by the type 2 plug you have charged the the driving battery.
the 12v battery you need a 12v charge connected to the battery to charge it up.
The 12v battery runs all the normal system just like on your petrol car but the other thing it has to do on this car is to close relays to connect the height voltage battery and if they is not enough power it it will not keep them connected and that has whats happened to you.

Do not get confused between the high voltage and the 12v system
the 12v system can only charge by the high voltage side only in ready not by the type 2 plug you have charged the the driving battery.
the 12v battery you need a 12v charge connected to the battery to charge it up.
The 12v battery runs all the normal system just like on your petrol car but the other thing it has to do on this car is to close relays to connect the height voltage battery and if they is not enough power it it will not keep them connected and that has whats happened to you.
Ok. I have Europecar hopefully coming tomorrow to give me a proper boost.

Thank you.

Hope they understand how this car works can alway show them these posts
if they get it up and make sure all switches off and check the 12v battery is charging in ready right down arrow and scroll down to the meter and should be 14v in ready.
good luck and let me know how yoy get on.

Hope they understand how this car works can alway show them these posts
if they get it up and make sure all switches off and check the 12v battery is charging in ready right down arrow and scroll down to the meter and should be 14v in ready.
good luck and let me know how yoy get on.
I assume to stop it from turning off I hit the "A" button at shifter?

On the shifter you have R, P, D then behind that you have black buttons on the left you have handbrake marked P this is a manual button pull up to apply brake or push down to release not use much as you go into drive or park with the shifter is done automatic. Next to that a button with a A and small LED green light, when this is lit up when you stop at lights and keep you your foot on the brake a yellow light will come up on the dashboard with a A in the middle and the car will be hold on the brakes until you go to pull away

On the shifter you have R, P, D then behind that you have black buttons on the left you have handbrake marked P this is a manual button pull up to apply brake or push down to release not use much as you go into drive or park with the shifter is done automatic. Next to that a button with a A and small LED green light, when this is lit up when you stop at lights and keep you your foot on the brake a yellow light will come up on the dashboard with a A in the middle and the car will be hold on the brakes until you go to pull away
That's what I thought. Thank you.

Go to Mg.uk and then my Mg and you find an online user manual for bed time reading. Are you on holiday from Canad?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom