Dead Reckoning

When navigating a vessel (yacht/ship etc.) Dead Reckoning refers to plotting point-to-point without taking into account leeway, wind, tacks etc. which all change the course you will actually sail to get from point A to point B, the same if flying an aircraft. Thus, one would presume that it is a quick and nasty way of allowing for basic navigation without allowing for things such as weather and traffic?

If it is like the Kona SatNav, you get a dotted line from where you are to your destination as the "crow flies". Handy if you don't want to follow the suggested route but want to take a more direct route off A roads and motorways etc. :)

Try it in a tunnel where you don't get GPS. I found that as you drive along your position moves along the road on a car SatNav even when you are out or range of GPS satellites in a tunnel so I wonder if there is an option to turn that off - if the SatNav can't work out it's position from satellites.

Yes it means the sat nav works properly. It's no good if switched on.
My understanding is that this is only true if you haven't had a particular firmware update applied. Dead reckoning is a useful thing, and that's why it's on by default.

It's bordering on scandalous that this firmware update isn't being applied at pre-delivery. There was suggestion that there is some incompatibility, hence it's not getting done. But if so, it's scandalous that the mess isn't sorted out yet. At the very very least, dead reckoning should be disabled with an apology at each delivery if that's the only way that satellite navigation can work at present. Delivering vehicles without a working sat nav is crazy. Hopefully that's no longer happening now.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom